Vermicelli Rice (Lebanese Rice - Riz Bi Sharieh)
A staple with every Lebanese family, Lebanese vermicelli rice is always served as the basic rice side. Lebanese rice is the ideal side of rice, using only 3 ingredients, it makes for an easy vegan rice recipe. Kids love eating this rice on it’s own.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 cup Basmati Rice or any long grain rice
- ½ cup Vermicelli Pasta or angel hair pasta
- 1½ tablespoon Plant Based butter or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 1½ cups water or make sure the water line is about 2 cm above the rice
Heat plant based butter (or olive oil) in a pot over med-high heat. Add crushed vermicelli and continuously stir until golden brown.
Add rice and stir through, coating it with the plant based butter.
Add water and salt. Bring it to a boil and then turn heat to low and allow rice to cook for about 10-12 minutes. Once rice is cooked, allow it to sit (covered) for about 10 minutes and then fluff rice with a fork and serve.
📝Lebanese Rice Recipe Notes
- When frying vermicelli, be sure to watch and continuously stir it, as it heats up quick and can burn quickly toward the end.
- To alleviate any burning of the vermicelli, when it turns golden, add rice immediately. As this will help distribute the heat throughout the rice rather than keep it in the vermicelli.
- The water line above the rice should be approximately 2.5cm (if you need to add a little bit more water, do so at the start.
- Rice is done when the water evaporates.
- The cooked vermicelli will mostly sit on the top of the rice. This is normal and can mixed through when fluffing rice.
- Salt - you can adjust the salt to your liking. I much prefer to under salt my Arabic rice as it will be used with other foods which already contain salt in them too.
💭Lebanese Rice Recipe Tips
- Avoid short grain white rices
- If you are using a white rice other than basmati, I recommend you wash the rice (until it runs clear) to rid excess starch, as this will help to achieve a non-clumpy rice. However if you are using basmati rice, this step isn’t necessary
- Crush vermicelli bales with your hands into bite sized pieces (don’t over crush) before pan frying.
- The more golden the vermicelli is, the bolder the flavour is. It’s worth trying to get it as golden as possible.
- Coating the rice in the oils of the pan fried vermicelli is important as it helps the vermicelli rice to cook well and evenly distribute the flavour.
- Do not open the lid immediately after cooking. Allowing it to sit helps the heat to cook it a little bit more.
Serving: 150g | Calories: 323kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 347mg | Potassium: 62mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1mg