Vegan Broccoli Salad (With Mustard Dressing)
This vegan broccoli salad is made up of lightly steamed broccoli, fresh sweet snow peas, brown lentils and dry toasted almond slivers, all tossed in a delicious orange mustard dressing.
Servings: 6 servings
- 500 g Broccoli bite sized florets (fresh)
- 300 g Snow peas sliced lengthways (fresh)
- 250 g Brown Lentils canned or dry
- 65 g Slivered almonds dry toasted
Orange Mustard Dressing
- 2 med Oranges freshly juiced
- ½ tablespoon Ginger freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon Garlic crushed (fresh)
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil extra virgin (EVOO)
- 1 tablespoon Whole seed French mustard
- 1 teaspoon Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Cracked black pepper to taste
Dry toast slivered almonds until golden brown in a fry pan over high heat. Set aside.
Whisk together orange juice, EVOO, crushed garlic and crushed ginger until well combined. Set aside.
Steam broccoli florets for less than 5 minutes and add to a large salad bowl.
Add snow peas, brown lentils, to the salad bowl and pour dressing over. Toss salad ingredients and serve immediately.
- Only lightly steam the broccoli until it’s a very vibrant green.
- Avoid a soggy salad, store the orange mustard dressing in a jar separately and pour onto the salad and mix about 5 - 10 minutes before serving. I actually don’t mind the dressing infusing into the vegetables. Sometimes I add extra dressing, for slurping at the end :)
- Don’t waste the broccoli stalk, slice these up thin and add them to the salad. I like to eat them raw, they are so tasty and juicy.
Consider teaming this salad up with air fryer corn, or polenta frita or even a vegan Lebanese omelette ejjeh recipe.
N.B., nutrition info is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. This will vary based on the specific ingredients you use and how much sugar syrup is actually used.
- Use raw broccoli rather than steamed, just cut up the florets into smaller bit sized pieces.
- Nuts - add or swap your preferred dry toasted nuts. Or make it nut free by taking them out all together.
- For a creamy salad, swap the orange mustard dressing with my eggless mayonnaise which can be made in 5 minutes. Or add some of the mayo to the dressing within this recipe, adjust the ratio to your liking by doing a simple taste test.
- For added sweetness, make this vegan broccoli salad with cranberries
Serving: 1g | Calories: 284kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 74mg | Potassium: 922mg | Fiber: 19g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1188IU | Vitamin C: 130mg | Calcium: 132mg | Iron: 5mg