Muhallabi (Muhallabia Lebanese Milk Pudding - Vegan)
Muhallabi (Muhalabia) is a simple silky milk pudding made with little ingredients that anyone can prepare. This famous Arabic dessert is loved by all and is a vegan friendly recipe.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 litre Almond milk or your preferred plant milk
- ½ cup Rice flour or cornflour (corn starch)
- ½ cup Raw sugar up to ¾ cup
- 1 pinch Mastic crushed and powdered (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Orange blossom water or up to a tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon Rose water or up to a tablespoon
- 1 Pisacchio crushed - for garnish (optional)
- 1 Rose Petals dried - for garnish (optional)
Add almond milk and rice flour to a pot and combine whilst cold.
Over med-high heat bring milk and rice content to a simmer and add raw sugar, stir continuously until all the sugar has dissolved. Once thickened, turn off heat and add mastic, stir for 30 seconds. Then add orange blossom and rose water, stir through for a minute.
Transfer to individual serving cups and cool to room temp. Refrigerate for an hour at least. Garnish with rose petals, crushed pistachio or cinnamon. Serve cold.
4-6 servings. Depending on your individual-sized portions.
*Shop for your healthy organic groceries at Thrive Market*.
- A continuous stir is required as this milk dessert starts to heat up. If there is no constant movement, the rice will clump into lumps at the bottom of the pot. Stirring also helps to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Do not bring muhalebi to a hard boil, it should simmer only
- Muhalabia can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, make sure it is well sealed.
- Lebanese mahalabi will form a skin as it starts to cool down.
N.B., nutrition info is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. This will vary based on the specific ingredients you use.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 174kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 25mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 2IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1mg