This home-made pizza dough requires one bowl, minimal ingredients, 3 minutes of kneading and rolling however you like.
A basic pizza dough for when you can't think of anything to cook and pizza is a good option.
This basic pizza dough recipe will yield 5 small pizzas. When I last made this pizza dough for our family of four; two of us had one pizza each and two of us had one and a half pizzas.
It's fun having a pizza night with the family. We usually allow each person to customise their own pizza with their preferred toppings.
This keeps the kids busy for a few minutes (which is needed during this self-lockdown period - I really don't want to hear "Mum I'm bored!" ever again)
Steps to make homemade pizza dough
Step 1 - Activate your yeast - In a large mixing bowl, pour warm water, add dried yeast and maple syrup, mix and allow yeast to froth for 10 minutes.
Step 2 - In the same bowl, whisk in olive oil and yeast. Add flour and stir until a sticky dough forms. Using your hands knead dough for about 3 minutes (in the bowl).
Step 3 - Make a ball with your dough, place it in the center of your bowl and cover with cling wrap for five minutes.
Step 4 - Roll out your dough into desired pizza shape, size and thickness on a flour dusted surface. You can evenly divide the dough into five equal parts.
Basic Pizza Dough in a ball ready to rise
Rustic rectangular pizza dough bases
How to know your pizza dough is ready
Depending on your oven, baking your pizza can vary time-wise. An oven on 225 degrees Celsius (437 degrees Fahrenheit), the pizza dough should be baked for about 9-12 minutes.
If your toppings look baked to the way you like, pull out your pizza and use a fork to check the base.
It should look like the first photo. If it is still not-quite-there, put it back into the oven for another minute or two.
A little cheat...
We wanted rustic looking pizza's this time around, so we placed them into rectangular trays. I'm not fond of cleaning up, so I cheated and used parchment/baking paper and placed the pizza dough onto it.
It was perfect as the tray remained clean (although I still washed the trays, as they were handled), the trays didn't have any of the burnt sauces or anything that requires a good scrubbing. Winning!
What pairs perfectly with pizza? Pasta! Try my Vegan Lasagna Gluten Free recipe. I doubt there will be left overs!
Basic Pizza Dough
- In a large bowl, add warm filtered water, maple syrup and dried yeast and mix. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to activate yeast. The mixture will become frothy.
- Preheat oven on 225 degrees Celsius (437 degrees Fahrenheit).
- In the same bowl, add olive oil, salt and yeast mixture and whisk.
- Add plain flour and mix into a sticky dough.
- Use your hand to knead dough for about 3 minutes.
- Make a ball with your dough, and place in the center of your bowl.
- Cover with cling wrap for 5 minutes to rest.
- Using your hands place dough on flour dusted surface and roll out pizza dough into desired shape and thickness.
- Place your pizza dough on a pizza tray or baking tray.
- Using a fork, prick rolled pizza base evenly and top with your favourite pizza toppings.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes. Allow 5 minutes rest before cutting up.