This easy vegan gluten free cornbread has the perfect crumb, a delectable soft cornbread texture and added corn kernels. The flavor is mildly sweet, perfect for pairing with soups, stews, and chilis or enjoy it alone.
This website receives a commission/fee for each purchase bought through the affiliate links on this website.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- The ingredients are straight forward and the cooking method is easy
- The texture is soft and not too crumbly
- The taste is not too sweet and can easily be adjusted
- It makes a wonderful side dish to soups, stews, chilis or any holiday table or can be enjoyed on its own
- Dietary friendly - naturally vegan and gluten-free.
Ingredients You'll Need
Notes on some of the ingredients, the full list of ingredients and their measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
- All-purpose gluten-free flour with a thickening agent blended through it. To measure out the flour, I like to fluff the flour first, then scoop, gently tap the cup onto the bench and level it out with the back of a butter knife.
- Medium to fine yellow cornmeal or instant polenta gives that lovely cornbread texture.
- Baking powder will help to create a fluffier cornbread, just make sure the brand you are using is gluten free.
- Vinegar will also help to create a fluffier texture, it will react with the baking powder.
- Dairy-free milk, I like using soy or almond milk.
- Coconut oil, but you can use any type of neutral oil. If using coconut oil, it must be melted before adding to the batter. Note, the coconut flavor is virtually non-existent.
- Maple syrup and salt for mild flavoring.
- Corn kernels, you can use either canned or fresh corn.
Feel free to chop up some jalapenos or scallions (green onion) and add this to the batter.
Or for some cheezy flavor, try adding some nutritional yeast.
How to Make Vegan Gluten Free Cornbread
Whisk the wet ingredients first. In a small mixing bowl add the milk, maple syrup, baking powder and vinegar. Whisk well and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. You’ll want to mix together the gluten free all purpose flour, cornmeal and salt.
Make a well in the center, then add in the wet ingredients, the melted coconut oil, and the corn kernels. Mix together until a thick batter has formed.
Grease or line a 7in x 7in (20cmx20cm) baking dish (affiliate link) with parchment paper, then pour the batter in and even the top with a spatula.
Bake in a preheated 374F (190c) oven for 25 minutes. Then let the cornbread rest for five minutes before transferring it to a wire rack. Once completely cooled, slice it up and serve.
Shop The Equipment
Make This Cornbread Without Oil
If you prefer to leave the oil out, that is fine. I have done this myself and it worked. No need to replace anything, just simply omit the oil.
Note the crust is a little drier. When baking the vegan oil free cornbread at the 20 minute mark check it. It should bake between 20-25 minutes to bake.
My family seems to just eat this cornbread on its own.
However, this vegan gluten free cornbread is excellent with soups (such as potato and carrot soup), stews, chili, beans (try it with my vegan black eyed peas with greens recipe) or as a side to any dining table feast.
Shop The Equipment
More Easy Vegan Corn Recipes
Check out my popular air-fried corn ribs, a fun way to cook fresh corn.
For breakfast, try my corn pancakes, which can also be made gluten free.
Want another way to cook polenta? Try my gluten free polenta frita.
Easy Vegan Gluten Free Cornbread
- In a small mixing bowl the milk, maple syrup, baking powder and vinegar. Whisk well and let it sit for 5 minutes1 cup Dairy free milk, ¼ cup Maple Syrup, 1 teaspoon Vinegar, 1 tablespoon Baking powder
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the gf all purpose flour (see note 1), cornmeal and salt. Then make a well in the center, then add in the wet ingredients the melted coconut oil, and the corn kernels. Mix together until a thick batter has formed1 cup Gluten free all purpose flour, 1 cup Yellow cornmeal, ½ teaspoon Salt, ¼ cup Coconut oil, ½ cup Corn kernels
- Grease or line a 7½in x 7½in (20cmx20cm) baking dish with parchment paper. Then pour the batter and even the top with a spatula. Bake in a preheated 374F (190c) oven for 30 minutes. Then let the cornbread rest for five minutes before transferring it to a wire rack. Once cooled, slice it up and serve.
N.B., nutrition info is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. This will vary based on the specific ingredients you use.