Easy carrot cucumber salad with tahini dressing is simple and delicious combining the sweetness of carrots and the crispness of cucumbers in a creamy and flavorful tahini dressing.
This website receives a commission/fee for each purchase bought through the affiliate links on this website.
😋Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- A refreshing, light and healthy salad that can be enjoyed all year round
- Lots of juice and crunch, the dressing is simple, mildly sweet but bold
- Serve as a side dish or can be turned into a substantial meal (see serving suggestions)
- Dietary friendly - vegan, dairy free, nut free, corn free and gluten free
🥒Ingredients You’ll Need
Notes on some of the ingredients, the full list of ingredients and their measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
Carrots should be peeled and then grated.
Lebanese cucumbers (aka Persian cucumbers) are also chopped. If you can't find these types of cucumbers, a telegraph cucumber can be used. Otherwise if using cucumbers with tough seeds, scrape those out.
Spring onions are sliced, using both the white and green parts, on an angle. They have a sweet pungent flavor which complements the tahini dressing.
Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds and will add a mild nutty flavor. It is commonly found in Middle Eastern and Asian cuisine. It can be found at your local supermarket or purchased here online (affiliate link).
Fresh lime juice for sourness and builds flavor in this salad.
Fresh garlic clove and ginger are to be peeled and minced prior to adding to the dressing.
Black sesame seeds add a lovely contrast in color, only a small amount is needed. White sesame seeds can also be used.
Soy sauce or tamari sauce add the salty umami component.
🥒 How to Make Carrot Cucumber Salad with Tahini Dressing
Step 1 - In a large bowl, combine the cucumber, carrots and spring onions.
Step 2 - In a small bowl, whisk together the salad dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Serve cold.
Tip: toss this salad 30 minutes prior to serving to let the flavors meld. The toss again just before serving.
🥕Variations and Serving Suggestions
This salad can easily accommodate additional ingredients such as bean sprouts, red cabbage, peanuts and radish.
To make this salad more substantial, try adding cooked glass noodles (similar to this glass noodle salad) or toss plain rice (try this Instant Pot basmati rice) through and add some tofu skewers or chickpeas.
When adding additional ingredients, you may need to adjust the dressing.
You could enjoy it with some tofu, try it with this Asian tofu by Naturallie Plant Based.
Yes, prepare and chop the vegetables and store them separately in sealed containers in the fridge. Whisk the salad dressing and store in the fridge also in a sealed container. Combine ingredients up to 30 minutes prior to serving.
If you're into tahini, try my versatile miso tahini dressing.
Or try my healthy Asian brussels sprouts.
Here's a simple treat, black sesame cookies, also using black sesame seeds
Did you make this? I'd love to know! Leave me a comment below with a ★★★★★ rating or tag @plantbasedfolk on social media.
Easy Carrot Cucumber Salad With Tahini Dressing
- 1 small carrot peeled and grated
- 2 medium cucumbers quartered and sliced at an angle
- ¼ cup spring onion sliced at an angle
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumber, carrots, spring onions and black sesame seeds.1 small carrot, 2 medium cucumbers, ¼ cup spring onion, 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk together the salad dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Serve cold.2 tablespoons tahini, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 small clove garlic, ½ inch ginger, 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon maple syrup
N.B., nutrition info is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. This will vary based on the specific ingredients you use.
If you enjoyed this recipe, consider supporting my work for the cost of a cup of coffee.