Feel good stepping into 2020 with Rice Vermicelli Buddha Bowl as one of your go-to meals. I could eat this every day and be happy and satisfied.
What is a Buddha bowl?
The concept of a Buddha bowl is to place an assortment of individual small portions of vegetarian foods (or plant based in this case) in an artful presentation in a bowl or on a plate. The overall concept is for the bowl to contain variable foods each time; I make this satisfying meal often - the key with making Buddha bowls is to make it with ingredients you love.
How to make this vegan Buddha bowl recipe
There are three parts to making this recipe;
1. Pickled radish
2. Turmeric tahini dressing
3. Preparing & assembling
How to make quick pickled radish
- Wash and dry radish
- Slice into thin slices
- Place sliced radish to a mixing bowl
- Add ¼ cup white vinegar
- Add 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Mix and allow to soak whilst preparing Buddha bowl (or pre make over night for better result)
How to make turmeric tahini dressing
- In an immersion blender, add 2 heaped tablespoons of tahini, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 2 tablespoon vinegar, 3 tablespoon water and 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Blend into a sauce (add more water to achieve the desired dressing consistency)
Homemade Turmeric tahini dressing recipe for plant based Buddha bowl
- Rice vermicelli noodles
- Iceberg lettuce
- Black Sesame
- Coriander (Cilantro)
- Mint Leaves
- Alfalfa Sprouts
- Optional - Gluten free soy sauce (for saltiness) - info on alternative gluten free soy sauce
- White Vinegar
- Optional - vegan nuggets or spring rolls (my son loves them with spring rolls) I sometimes add vegan nuggets that are gluten free too
Preparing & Assembling
Step 1 - Pre cook rice vermicelli noodles as directed on packet and set aside
Step 2 - Optional - bake vegan nuggets or spring rolls as per instructions and set aside
Step 3 - Chop broccolini into bite-size pieces and boil for approx. 1 minute, set aside
Step 4 - Slice avocado, set aside
Step 5 - Roughly chop iceberg lettuce into bite-size pieces, set aside
Step 6 -Thinly slice cucumber, set aside
Step 7 -Roughly chop coriander, set aside
Step 8 -Roughly chop mint leaves, set aside
Rice Vermicelli Buddha Bowl ingredients that are fresh or made.
Optional - Vegan nuggets or vegetable spring rolls to add to Buddha bowl
Step 1 - In a serving bowl, add 1 portion of rice noodle
Step 2 - Using tongs, place all ingredients on top of rice noodle - portion as per your needs
Step 3 - Add gluten free soy sauce on top (or on side)
Step 4 - Add desired amount of turmeric tahini dressing
Step 5 - Add handful of alfalfa sprouts
Step 6 - Garnish with black sesame seeds
Another bowl recipe to try
Vegan brown rice salad - packed with fresh vegetables
Another noodle dish to try is my cold glass noodle salad - a winner in my family too.
You could swap the sauce and try this avocado cilantro lime dressing
Or here's a list of vegan meal prep recipes to peruse through.
Otherwise another recipe using vermicelli is this easy vermicelli soup.
I recently had a friend ask me about adding a type of animal protein to this bowl. It's totally a personal choice, I would say add something flavourful like this instant pot shredded beef.
Rice Vermicelli Buddha Bowl
- 4 servings Rice vermicelli
- 2 bunch Broccolini
- 1 whole Avocado
- ½ head Iceberg lettuce
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 tablespoon Black Sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoon Coriander Cilantro (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoon Mint Leaves finely chopped
- 2 handfuls Alfalfa Sprouts
- 4 tablespoon Gluten free soy sauce
Turmeric Tahini Dressing
- In an immersion blender add tahini, water, turmeric powder and maple syrup and combine until fully blended
- Set aside to prepare bowl
- Thinly slice radish and place into a bowl big enough to soak
- Pour vinegar and maple syrup over radish
- Sprinkle salt and mix all ingredients together. Cover with glad wrap and set aside in the fridge
Rice Vermicelli Buddha Bowl Preparation
- Prepare rice vermicelli as instructed on packet and set aside to cool
- Blanch or boil broccoli to your preferred tenderness, drain and set aside
- Slice avocado and set aside
- Slice lettuce into bite sized chunks and set aside
- Slice cucumber into thin slices and set aside (I used a mandolin)
- Roughly chop coriander & mint and set aside
Rice Vermicelli Buddha Bowl Construction
- Per serving bowl, place at the base cooked rice vermicelli and then lettuce
- Add (separately) all chopped ingredients
- Add alfalfa sprouts
- Drizzle desired amount of soy sauce and turmeric tahini dressing
- Place radish on top and sprinkle with black sesame. Enjoy with chop sticks.
N.B., nutrition info is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. This will vary based on the specific ingredients you use.
If you enjoyed this recipe, consider supporting my work for the cost of a cup of coffee.