The best vegan shawarma, boasting big vibrant flavors. Made of spices mixed through cooked mushrooms, which are combined with fresh vegetables, pickles and a garlic sauce. A wonderful feast in a sandwich or bowl.
This website receives a commission/fee for each purchase bought through the affiliate links on this website.
Everywhere you go in Lebanon there is a shawarma shop filling the streets with amazing aromas, which are reminiscent of my childhood.
I really love a good shawarma roll and am so excited to be able to enjoy this vegan version of Lebanese street food.
In this recipe, I will be showing you how to make a mouthwatering vegan wrap, or if you prefer, a vegetarian shawarma plate (as they call it in the Middle East) which is gluten-free.
This recipe was inspired by a lovely lady called Nuha within the Plant Based Folk Community Group on Facebook, feel free to join and share your wonderful food pics, questions, or just chat.
😋Why you’ll love this recipe
- The flavors are out of this world
- It’s a healthier option (no animal-fats and deep fried potatoes)
- The whole family will love eating veggie shawarma, it will probably make a weekly appearance in your meals
- It’s not hard to make
- Gluten free option
🥙What Is Shawarma?
Shawarma, pronounced as “sha-warr-mah” in Arabic, is a quintessential Lebanese street food typically made with chicken, beef, or lamb which is vertically roasted on an automatic kebab gyrator.
It is usually accompanied by fresh and pickled vegetables rolled in Lebanese pita bread.
Mushroom - I prefer to use white cups, portobello, king, oyster or brown flats. Choose fresh mushrooms. You might find this quick-read article interesting - are mushrooms vegan?
I do suggest trying to make toum, as it stores well for months in the fridge which you can use anytime. You can also use this shawarma sauce made from tahini which is also super delish with this recipe.
Lebanese flatbread - is the best & authentic option for making a veggie shawarma roll.
Lebanese flatbread* needs to be fresh, otherwise, it will crack when attempting to roll it.
If you can’t get your hands on this type of bread, you can turn this into a plate or just use your preferred pita bread.
These can be store-bought, just note to wash off excess salt with water and pat dry before using.
Batata - which means potato, is always served with a veggie shawarma rolls in the form of french fries or hot chips (unless you opt out).
I like to make mine from scratch using an air fryer, you can use my air fryer french fries recipe for this. These are so good!
Alternatively, ramp up the taste with spicy potatoes called batata harra.
Vegetables - all veggies should be the freshest you can find for maximum flavour.
🌿Spices in Shawarma
Shawarma contains quite a few aromatic spices, this veggie shawarma recipe calls for the following to be used:
- Allspice* is an actual plant called Pimenta - it is not a mixture of many spices, contrary to the name suggestion
- Ground Coriander*
- Ground Cumin
- Sumac* is a gorgeous red spice that is sour, it is heavily used throughout Middle Eastern cooking
- Turmeric - gives the mushrooms a lovely golden yellow coloring
- Salt - use this to taste
- Cracked Black Pepper - use this to taste
I always have a jar of shawarma spice mix in my pantry ready to go.
🔪How To Make Vegan Shawarma
Step 1 - In a large bowl, mix sliced mushrooms with all the spices, fresh coriander (cilantro), oil, and garlic. Cover and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
Step 2 - Thinly slice tomato and onion. Chop iceberg lettuce to fit in a sandwich or plate. Set these aside. Drain pickles and set them aside.
Prepare Air Fryer French Fries and Mushrooms
Step 3 - Make air fryer french fries and set them aside.
Whilst the fries are cooking, cook mushrooms in a frypan over medium heat until mushrooms have completely wilted. Drain any excess water and set mushrooms aside.
Step 4 - Separate the Lebanese flatbread (each piece has two connected pieces) and layer on top of each other.
Smear garlic sauce or tahini sauce all over the bread and add a little bit of everything.
Wrap the roll and enjoy.
Or, for a plate, simply add a bit of every ingredient on a bed of lettuce and with a dollop of sauce. Squeeze fresh lemon on top.
Vegan shawarma as a roll or plate already boasts a variety of both cooked and raw vegetables, pickles, and sauces.
I also love to drink homemade Lemonana a lemon mint juice, it's so refreshing.
Drain excess juice from the cooked mushrooms to avoid a soggy sandwich.
Prepare all the cold ingredients before making the warm ingredients. Place everything in a production line so that you can add assemble everything in a fashionable order.
When rolling a wrap, place the filling off-center, then use the edge of bread closest to filling to start rolling, and then fold the small flap to make an end enclosure.
Wrap the vegan shawarma rolls with thin parchment paper to help the roll hold together by twisting the end like a bonbon wrapper. This makes for easier handling.
Squeeze fresh lemon juice on top of the veggie shawarma plate
Add thinly sliced capsicum (bell pepper) with the mushroom to cook them up
Make it into vegetarian shawarma if you please, add your favorite grated cheese (such as salty mozzarella)
If you love this recipe then you will definitely love my tantalizing vegan shish tawook sandwich.
Or for more mushrooms, try this super easy raw mushroom salad.
Did you enjoy making this vegan shawarma I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below and give me a rating. This will help me sustain Plant Based Folk.
Alternatively, did you happen to take a photo of your meal? Tag me @plantbasedfolk on Instagram to be featured via stories. If you love sharing your vegan food pics, join the PBF community group. If you’re into fast cooking vids, join me on Tiktok.
Best Vegan Shawarma
- 4 cups Mushroom Sliced
- 3 tablespoon Coriander Cilantro
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 3 tablespoon Avocado Oil sub extra virgin olive oil
All other ingredients
- 1½ med Tomato thinly sliced
- 4 med Potato *see notes for air fryer french fries recipe
- 1 med White onion thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoon Toum (garlic sauce) *see notes for toum recipe
- 5 pieces Lebanese flat bread sub your preferred pita bread
- ½ small Lemon freshly squeezed (optional)
- ⅓ small Iceberg Lettuce head shredded
- 1 handful Pickles Either pink pickled turnip or pickled Armenian cucumber
Prepare mushroom shawarma
- In a large bowl, mix mushrooms with all the spices, fresh coriander (cilantro), oil and garlic. Cover and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.1 tablespoon Allspice, 1 tablespoon Cumin, 1 tablespoon Sumac, 1 tablespoon Ground Coriander, 1 tablespoon Turmeric, ½ tablespoon Cracked black pepper, 1 teaspoon Salt, 4 cups Mushroom, 3 tablespoon Coriander, 3 cloves Garlic
Prepare veg and fruit
- Thinly slice all vegetables. Chop iceberg lettuce to fit in a sandwich or bowl. Set these aside. Drain pickles and set aside.1½ med Tomato, 1 med White onion, ½ small Lemon, ⅓ small Iceberg Lettuce head, 1 handful Pickles
Prepare Air Fryer French Fries and Mushrooms
- Prepare air fryer french fries and set aside - see notes for recipe. Whilst french fries are cooking, cook mushrooms in oil, in a frypan over medium heat until completely wilted. Drain any excess water and set mushrooms aside.4 med Potato, 3 tablespoon Avocado Oil
Assembling Veggie Shawarma Wrap or Plate
- Seperate the Lebanese flatbread and layer on top of each other. Smear garlic sauce (or tahini sauce) all over the bread and add a little bit of everything. Wrap the roll and enjoy. Or for a plate, simply add a bit of every ingredient on a bed of lettuce and enjoy with a dollop of toum and freshly squeeze lemon juice.5 pieces Lebanese flat bread, 5 tablespoon Toum (garlic sauce)
- Drain excess juice from the cooked mushrooms to avoid a soggy sandwich.
- Prepare all the cold ingredients before making the warm ingredients. Place everything in a production line so that you can add assemble everything in a fashionable order.
- When rolling a veggie shawarma wrap, place the filling off center, the use the edge of bread closest to filling to start rolling and then fold the small flap to make an end enclosure. See video.
- Wrap the vegan shawarma rolls with thin parchment paper to help the roll hold together by twister the end like a bonbon wrapper. This makes for easier handling.
N.B., nutrition info is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. This will vary based on the specific ingredients you use.
If you enjoyed this recipe, consider supporting my work for the cost of a cup of coffee.