Do you love garlic? Like really love garlic? If yes, then this traditional Lebanese garlic sauce is for you.
Toum (Toom) aka Lebanese Garlic sauce is loved by so many. If you've ever eaten a Lebanese kebab or charcoal chicken or even a falafel wrap and loved the white garlic sauce, you'll now be a superstar at making it.
With a little bit of patience, you'll be making this easy traditional recipe a staple in your kitchen.
How to make Toum Recipe
- 1 cup fresh garlic (fresh garlic will provide better flavour)
- 2.5-3 cups sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 fresh lemon, juiced (this whitens the sauce)
- ½ tbsp salt
An immersion blender or food processor or blender will work for this toum recipe. If you are using an immersion blender, like in this recipe, add 1 tbsp of oil every 30-60sec and blend really well before adding the next spoon of oil. Add the lemon juice every 4th spoon (or there about) of oil and blend really well before adding the next. If you are using a food processor or blender, add the oil continuously through a fine pour line - DO NOT add a lot at a time. Add in lemon once in a while until all used.
If the garlic sauce starts to separate from the lemon juice, keep blending and add more oil.
Toum recipe (Lebanese Garlic Sauce) tips:
- Inspect the garlic and cut off any green shoots that might be growing
- Once you're happy with the consistency of your garlic sauce (toum), allow it to cool down before sealing it in a container as condensation drops will cause your garlic dipping sauce to separate.
- Toum will keep in the fridge for a couple of months, store it in an air tight container
For visual instruction on how to make toum, click on this video;
Toum Recipe aka LEBANESE GARLIC SAUCE/DIP (Traditional and eggless) // Plant Based Folk
What is toum used for and what to eat toum with?
Toum (garlic sauce) is the shawarma sauce and is also perfect for using with Plant Based Folk's Easy Falafel Recipe (another delicious Lebanese recipe) or with pasta or with salads as a dressing. It's also great for dipping polenta frita or air fried french fries into. Here are some other suggestions for what toum is used for;
- As a garlic spread in a sandwich
- On the side with grilled vegetables
- Dipping you french fries or hot chips into the toum garlic sauce
- Make fresh crusty garlic bread, smear it on your bread rolls and bake in the oven
- Add it to pasta sauces
How many carbs in mediterranean garlic sauce?
For a serving of 30g there is 45g of carbs in Lebanese toum.
If you're looking for another vegan sauce, whip up my thick and creamy eggless mayonnaise in under five minutes.
Lebanese Garlic Sauce - Toum Recipe
- 1 cup Fresh garlic, peeled
- 2.5-3 Cups Sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 whole Fresh lemon, juiced
- ½ tbsp Salt
- Peel garlic (toum) and set aside
- Add garlic and salt in an immersion/hand held blender or blender.
- Roughly mince
Hand held / immersion blender
- Add 1 tbsp of oil every thirty seconds and blender well before adding the next lot.
- Add tbsp of lemon juice after every third or fourth oil tbsp of oil, blend well
Blender / Food processor
- Continually drip oil into blender / food processor via the flow of a fine string (DO NOT pour in)
- Every so often, add 1 tbsp lemon juice. (DO NOT over add - this will cause the sauce to break up)
- Continue to add oil and lemon juice until all blended