An easy recipe for how to make a homemade shawarma spice mix with 10 different spices. Keep this blend in the pantry ready for use anytime.
This website receives a commission/fee for each purchase bought through the affiliate links on this website
What is Shawarma Spice Mix?
Shawarma (sha·warr·mah) is a Middle Eastern street sandwich based on the doner kebab, which traditionally is made with thinly sliced (shaved) marinated meat (beef, chicken, lamb) that has been stacked on top of each other on a gyrating vertical skewer.
The marinade consists of various spices which is known as “shawarma spice mix” There are different variations which is generally dependent on location in the Middle East.
I have made a mouthwatering veggie shawarma, using this blend, that is vegan.
😋Why you’ll love this recipe
- This blend is what gives shawarma its full flavoured depth
- A homemade blend of spices is always better on flavour as the spices are typically fresher
- Control the taste of your shawarma, if you don’t like a certain spice, leave it out
- Can be used on a wide range of foods (really good for roasting or grilling)
- Naturally vegan and gluten free. No added sodium or sugars.
✔️What You’ll Need
Here’s the list ground spices in order of quantity needed to make this blend;
- 1 tablespoon Allspice (بهارحلو - Filful Franjy 7iloo) - also known as Jamaica pepper, pimento, pimento or myrtle pepper. Allspice is a brown berry from the Pimenta dioica. It was given it’s name ‘allspice’ as it resembled the flavouring of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.
- 1 tablespoon Coriander (كزبرة - Kizbra)
- 1 tablespoon Cumin (كمون - Kamoon)
- 1 teaspoon Sumac (السماق - Al Simak) - a sour spice from a red fruit which grows across Asia.
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric (كركم - Kurkam) - a bright yellow rhizome
- 1 teaspoon Paprika (فلفلأحمر filfil ahmar) red pepper
- 1 teapsoon Black pepper (فلفل اسود - Falful aswad)
- 1 teaspoon Clove (كبشقرنفل - Karinful) - dried flower buds, can be used in both sweet and savoury dishes.
- 1 teaspoon Ginger (زنجبيل - Zanjabil)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic (ثوم thoom)
🔪Step by step guide
Step 1 - In a bowl, combine all ground spices.
Step 2 - Store in an airtight jar in the pantry.
Shawarma spice can differ between Middle Eastern countries or even families.
Other spices that have been used include white pepper, cinnamon or various chilli.
Although ground spices have been used in this recipe, whole spices can be used, and should be used when possible as this will result in better flavours. To use whole spices, you will need to grind them which is easily done in a spice grinder.
The typical use is as a marinade (traditional on chicken, lamb, beef) which is then placed in a shawarma sandwich, I love my delicious vegan shawarma recipe.
Sprinkle over your favourite vegetables and roast them (potatoes are awesome!)
In a grilled vegetable salad - only a small sprinkle is needed!
Shawarma spice is made of various dry spices including coriander seeds, all spice berries, cumin pods, sumac berries, turmeric, black pepper berries, paprika, garlic powder, ginger and cloves. These spices have all been ground up and combined to create the shawarma blend of spices.
No, garam masala and shawarma spice are not the same. Whilst some of the spices used within each blend do cross over, they do contain different spices resulting in different a flavouring.
Did you enjoy learning how to make shawarma spice mix? I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below and give me a rating. This will help me sustain Plant Based Folk.
Alternatively, did you happen to take a photo of your food? Tag me @plantbasedfolk on Instagram to be featured via stories. If you love sharing your vegan food pics, join the PBF community group. If you’re into fast cooking vids, join me on Tiktok.
Easy Shawarma Spice Mix
- 1 tablespoon All spice ground
- 1 tablespoon Coriander ground
- 1 tablespoon Cumin ground
- 1 teaspoon Sumac ground
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric ground
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper ground
- 1 teaspoon Paprika ground
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon Cloves ground
- In a bowl (or jar) add all spices. Mix until well combined1 tablespoon All spice, 1 tablespoon Coriander, 1 tablespoon Cumin, 1 teaspoon Sumac, 1 teaspoon Turmeric, 1 teaspoon Black pepper, 1 teaspoon Paprika, 1 teaspoon Garlic powder, 1 teaspoon Ginger powder, 1 teaspoon Cloves
- Store in an air-tight jar in the pantry.
N.B., nutrition info is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. This will vary based on the specific ingredients you use.