Move over pumpkin soup, here comes easy vegan broccoli soup that's silky smooth. With only four ingredients, quick cook time and loads of flavour, broccoli soup is here to stay.
I was perusing the contents of my fridge and saw I had quite a bit of broccoli and I had an idea to create a creamy broccoli soup - something I had yet to make (not sure why?).
The results were a unanimous yes from my family - they all loved it! Boom!
I just made an easy vegan broccoli soup recipe that is here to stay in my go-to soups book. Here's how you can make it;
How to Make Vegan Broccoli Soup
Step 1 - Peel and roughly chop potato into small pieces, set aside. You want the potatoes small to dramatically reduce the boil time
Step 2 - Cut broccoli into small florets and pieces, set aside
Step 3 - In a tall pot, over high heat, bring water, vegan butter and vegetable stock to a boil
Step 4 - Add potatoes and cook until par-boiled. About 5 minutes
Step 5 - Add broccoli and boil for another 5 minutes until both potato and broccoli are cooked
Step 6 - Take out about 50% of the water and set aside, you may want to add some back in
Step 7 - Pour contents (broccoli, potato and water) into a blender and blend until completely smooth. If your soup is too thick, ladle little amounts at a time back into the blended soup until you achieve the desired consistency
Step 8 - Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and garnish with fried shallot
Vegan Broccoli Soup Recipe Tips
Cover the broccoli and potatoes with just enough water when boiling
Take out about half the content of water for blending, you can always add the water back into the broccoli soup if it's too thick
Keep the lid on the pot at all times to ensure rapid boil
Don't over boil the broccoli, this will result in a dull green coloured soup
Serve garnished with fried shallots or croutons and drizzle with olive oil (the olive oil makes the broccoli soup look silkier)
Some members of my family enjoyed the soup with home-made chilli oil
Why use a blender for making broccoli soup?
I tried the hand held mixer and it resulted in a grainy soup due to the broccoli florets having small buds on the heads which didn't blend well.
It wasn't the result I was after. The blender* however, blended the content so well, it resulted in a very smooth silky finish. Making it easy to slurp the soup.
Aesthetically, it was appealing.
What to Serve with Broccoli Soup?
Crusty bread - your choice. Try my vegan dinner rolls recipe
Vegan cheese mixed through it
Garlic bread (my family did this and loved it)
Freshly roasted artichoke petals - I dunked these into the soup rather than bread. Try my roasted artichoke recipe
Can I freeze Broccoli Soup?
Hell yeah! Allow the soup to fully cool down and then store it in a snap lock bag in the freezer for up to three months.
Portion it into serving sizes, as you don't want to thaw out more than you need.
Vegan broccoli soup garnished with fried shallot and a drizzling of olive oil
Other Vegan Soup Recipes
Easy Vegan Broccoli Soup
- 750 g Broccoli fresh or frozen
- 3 medium Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Stock
- 1 tablespoon Vegan butter
- 5 Cups Water enough to just cover veggies
- Peel and roughly chop potato into small pieces
- Cut broccoli into small florets and pieces
- In a tall pot, bring water, vegan butter and vegetable stock to boil
- Add potatoes and cook until par boiled. About 5 minutes
- Add broccoli and boil for another 5 minutes until cooked
- Take out about 50% of the water and set aside
- Pour contents into a blender and blend until completely smooth. If you ladle some of the water back in to reach the consistency you like. Do this ½ a ladle at a time.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and garnish with fried shallot
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BROCCOLI SOUP?
- Crusty bread - your choice. Try my vegan dinner rolls recipe
- Vegan cheese mixed through it
- Garlic bread (my family did this and loved it)
- Freshly roasted artichoke petals - I dunked these into the soup rather than bread. Try my roasted artichoke recipe
OTHER VEGAN SOUP RECIPES
- The best Vegan Cauliflower Soup Recipe - so so creamy
- Another green one; Vegan Asparagus Soup Recipe, full flavoured
- A stunner of a soup, Lebanese Lentil Soup (Shorbet Adas) - the other in my top two
- Pumpkin Soup Recipe Vegan - one of my top two favourites
- Easy, light and low-fat carrot and celery soup