With the weather in Sydney getting colder so I'm naturally going to be amping up my soup recipes. Here is a soup to curb your creamy soup cravings; creamy vegan cauliflower soup.
It really doesn't take much to create a soup that's creamy without using an ingredient like thickened cream. It's amazing what veggies can do on their own.
I know what you're thinking, but cauliflower is smelly! Haha, and yes it does have a strong smell when it's stored (not so much whilst cooking).
Not appealing, but hey, get over it, as this vegan cauliflower soup is really luscious or you can turn cauliflower into yummy tacos.
How to make vegan cauliflower soup
Step 1 - This recipe is fairly simple both to make and with the ingredients needed. Here's the step by step instruction;
Step 2 - Prepare all your ingredients (mis en place):
Step 3 - Cut cauliflower into small florets, set aside
Step 4 - Peel and cut potato into small chunks, set aside
Step 5 - Peel and dice onion into small pieces, set aside
Step 6 - Peel and slice in half garlic cloves
Step 7 - Measure out, salt, onion powder and water, set aside
Step 8 - Put your creamy cauliflower soup together:
Step 9 - In a tall pot, over high heat, add potato, onion and garlic, salt, onion powder with coconut cream and bring to the boil
Step 10 - Once boiling, turn heat down to medium heat and add cauliflower
Step 11 - Top contents with water, just under the cauliflower (not submerged)
Step 12 - Cook ingredients until cauliflower can be easily cut with a knife. About 5 minutes or so
Step 13 - Transfer contents to a blender and blender well together. Serve warm
Tips to make the Best Vegan Cauliflower Soup
Chop up your vegetables into small sized chunks to speed up & minimise boiling.
To ensure it is thick & creamy; do not fully submerge your veggies, instead fill the water line to be around 1-2cm under the ingredients.
To water down your soup, add more water, salt and onion powder little bits at a time until you achieve the creamy consistency you'd like your soup to be.
To make the cauliflower soup smooth - use a blender and not a held mixer. The result is truly smooth. When using a blender it's best to start & end with pulsing - this will make sure all ingredients are blended.
You'll love this healthy cauliflower soup because
Super easy to make, no need to fry anything, just toss all the ingredients into a tall pot and let the cooking process do all the magic for you
It's super healthy; there is no oil involved making it truly a healthy cauliflower soup
Can be stored in the freezer or fridge as per other soups
As well as being vegan, this cauliflower soup is gluten-free
It's always a good idea to enjoy fresh bread with soup. Here's my recipe for dinner rolls which are the perfect rip apart bread to dunk into this soup.
Other vegan soup recipes to try
- Carrot and celery soup
- Easy vegan broccoli soup
- Creamy asparagus soup recipe
- Pumpkin soup recipe vegan
- 20 minute Pea Soup with Thyme
- Ginger Lime Carrot Soup
- Lebanese lentil soup (shorbet adas)
- Tomato soup
Creamy Vegan Cauliflower Soup
- 750 g Cauliflower cut into florets
- 3 small Potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 medium Brown Onion chopped
- 4-5 Garlic cloves peeled and chopped in half
- 400 ml Coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 480 ml Water
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Oil optional - to garnish
Mis En Place
- Cut cauliflower into small florets, set aside
- Peel and cut potato into small chunks, set aside
- Peel and dice onion into small pieces, set aside
- Peel and slice in half garlic cloves
- Measure out, salt, onion powder and water, set aside
Vegan Cauliflower Soup
- In a tall pot, over high heat, add potato, onion and garlic, salt, onion powder with coconut cream and bring to the boil
- Once boiling, turn heat down to medium heat and add cauliflower
- Top contents with water, just under the cauliflower (not submerged)
- Cook ingredients until cauliflower can be easily cut with a knife. About 5 minutes or so
- Transfer contents to a blender and blender well together. Serve warm