Who would’ve thought that humble asparagus spears can turn into a warming and delicious soup.
This vegan asparagus soup with potatoes can be enjoyed as a starter, main or as a side. It’s the perfect vegan spring soup.
We love eating this soup with some good crusty bread.
😋Why you’ll love this recipe
- Easy to cook using easy ingredients
- Can be made ahead and reheated as needed
- It’s both vegan and gluten free
- It’s healthy - no heavy creams and minimal oil
✔️What You’ll Need
Asparagus spears should be firm to touch with no wrinkles
Potatoes - the starch from the potatoes will help to thicken this vegan soup. Asparagus and potatoes make a great vegetable pair.
Onion with white or brown onion will work well with this vegan asparagus soup
Garlic is best used in its fresh form, however, garlic flakes or powder can work too.
Coconut milk* contributes to the smooth texture and is a very subtle flavour contrary to what you may think. Some people who have tried this gluten-free asparagus soup didn’t know there was coconut milk.
Alternatively, coconut cream can be used also. Though this may be a little stronger in flavour.
Vegetable stock I like using the Massel brand* as it’s a good plant-based and gluten-free stock
Paprika* gives this healthy asparagus soup a subtle heat. Alternatively, a good crack of black pepper will do too.
Pine nuts* are optional, these are used to garnish the soup and add a lovely nutty/buttery flavour.
Olive oil* can be swapped out with avocado oil if you prefer, or leave it out completely and use vegetable stock to sweat onions rather than caramelise.
Step 1 Over med-high heat, in a pot, add oil and onion together whilst cold and lightly caramelise onion.
Step 2 Add asparagus and stir through the onion, coating every bit of asparagus until they have slightly softened. Add potato, garlic, vegetable stock and stir.
Step 3 Cover pot and bring to a boil, turn heat to low and allow to simmer for about 12 minutes.
Step 4 Add coconut milk, cover the pot and allow to cook for another 3 minutes.
Step 5 Take asparagus soup off the heat and allow to cool for 5 min. Optionally - Meanwhile, dry pan toast pine nuts until golden.
Step 6 Using an immersion blender, blend vegan asparagus soup with coconut milk until creamy. Garnish with pine nuts and serve warm.
The above image shows the soup before it is blended with an immersion blender*.
Caramelising onion until just golden adds a mild sweetness to the soup. It’s important to note that the darker the onions are caramelised the darker this asparagus soup will be.
An immersion blender is the easiest way to blend up this soup, however, if you have a regular blender, it will be silky smooth. Either way, both options are good.
Coconut milk* can be substituted for your preferred plant milk. If swapping this out, do a taste test and adjust this soup as needed.
As some plant milks are very watery, you may need to add a little bit more potato to thicken it a little.
If you’d like a cheesy flavour, adding some nutritional yeast* will do the trick.
Lemon can be added when served. Simply squeeze fresh lemon juice into the individual portions of soup. I have found some people welcome the addition of lemon and some prefer without.
This vegan asparagus soup is good for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Be sure to use an air-tight container.
- Here's the silkiest Easy Vegan Broccoli Soup
- The best Vegan Cauliflower Soup Recipe - so so creamy
- Pumpkin Soup Recipe Vegan - oh so good!
- My go-to soup, Lebanese Lentil Soup (Shorbet Adas) - I can't get enough of this soup
- On the topic of broths, Sula dives into making vegetable broth from vegetable scraps.
Did you enjoy making this vegan asparagus soup with potatoes? I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below and give me a rating. This will help me sustain Plant Based Folk.
If you’re into fast cooking vids, join me on Tiktok.
Vegan Asparagus Soup (Gluten Free)
- Over med heat, in a pot add oil and onion together whilst cold and lightly caramelise onion.
- Add asparagus and stir through the onion, coating every bit of asparagus until they have slightly softened. Add potato, garlic, vegetable stock, paprika and stir.
- Cover pot and bring to the boil, turn heat to low and allow to simmer for about 12 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, cover the pot and allow to simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Take asparagus soup off heat and allow to cool for 5 min. Optionally - Meanwhile, dry pan toast pine nuts until golden.
- Using an immersion blender, blend asparagus soup with coconut milk until creamy. Garnish with pine nuts and serve warm.