A Lebanese poor man’s comforting bowl of vegan white bean soup with herbs. Made of creamy white beans, in an aromatic lemon, garlic and fresh herb broth. This poor man's soup can easily be adjusted to include leafy greens and vegetables.
This website receives a commission/fee for each purchase bought through the affiliate links on this website.
🥣What is Lebanese Vegan White Bean Soup?
This white bean soup was originally considered a poor-man's soup in Lebanon, and was relied on during times of hardship. It helped with nutrition, keeping satiated and warm.
It can be made with any type of white bean and only requires easy ingredients which results in a very flavorsome soup.
I've kept the recipe the same which is quite basic, however it can be easily modified to comprise of colorful vegetables and leafy greens. See variations below.
😋Why you’ll love this recipe
- Cheap ingredients and very quick to prepare
- Wholesome and filling - semi creamy due to the beans.
- Can be enjoyed as a starter or side
- You can add your favorite veggies for additional fiber
- Dietary friendly - vegan and gluten free, nut free, soy free, corn free and can be made oil free too.
✔️What You’ll Need
Notes on some of the ingredients, the full list of ingredients and their measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
White beans - the star of this soup. If using dry beans, simply soak overnight and boil the next day until beans are tender, then drain and make the soup.
Otherwise, organic canned white beans are fine, just drain before using.
If you’re looking for another recipe that calls for white beans, check out my ultra-delicious baked vegan pasta.
Parsley and coriander (cilantro) are best used in their fresh form. Chop up small, including the soft stalks. They add a lovely depth of flavouring to this vegan bean soup.
Garlic is also best used in its fresh form, either thinly sliced or crushed. However, dry garlic flakes are ok as a substitute too.
Onion - either brown or white onion can be used. A fine dice is best.
Olive oil can be left out if needed, but I love the velvety texture it adds. If leaving this out, simply replace it with water to sweat the onions.
Red Chilli whilst it's totally optional to use as a garnish, it does add a nice kick.
🥣How to Make Vegan White Bean Soup
Step 1 - Soak white beans in water overnight (triple the amount of water to bean ratio) Skip this step if you are using canned white beans.
Step 2 - Over medium heat, add oil, onion and sweat until translucent. Add in drained white bean, garlic and salt. Stir through for about 30 sec.
Step 3 - Add water, fresh parsley and coriander (cilantro) bring to a soft boil. Turn heat to med-low and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
Step 4 - Turn heat off, stir through fresh lemon juice. Optional - garnish with chilli. Serve warm.
White beans - can be replaced with butter beans (lima beans) or cannellini beans (affiliate link). Both are just as creamy and similar in flavor.
In fact, I have made this poor man's soup many times with butter beans and it is fabulous. Another cannellini bean recipe is my 5 minute vegan bean dip.
Spinach or kale leaves can be added in the last few minutes of simmering (you can add any of your favorite leafy greens)
Carrots add a lovely sweetness too. Finely dice and add with the garlic and herbs. You may need to adjust the amount of water and salt needed.
For a thicker soup crush some of the beans (1-2 tablespoons) with a fork before adding to the pot.
If using dry white beans - if using dry beans, you will need to sort them before soaking them in water (3:1 ratio (water:beans))
Sorting will help you separate any debris such as rocks, bad beans and other bits and pieces.
Also, ensure you have rinsed the beans prior to soaking to eliminate any dust and dirt.
Skimming - you may need to skim the top of the soup to remove any foam that may form.
Lemon juice is added after cooking as it helps to retain nutrients better.
As you know, I love a good homemade fresh bread, to dunk into a soup. Try my vegan dinner rolls or 3 ingredients Australian damper, with a side of fresh salad or macerated cabbage salad called Kupus Salata.
This soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5-7 days. Or sealed in a snap-lock bag, laid flat in the freezer for up to 3 months.
🥘Other Vegan Soup Recipes
Other delicious soups to try are easy vegan butternut squash soup with coconut milk, vegan asparagus soup, lemon lentil soup and vegan broccoli soup.
You could also try taking a look at this list of easy soups which are adaptable to suit your diet.
Beans are an integral part of the Lebanese diet, check out Loubieh bi zeit which is braised green beans.
Did you make this? I'd love to know! Leave me a comment below with a ★★★★★ rating or tag @plantbasedfolk on social media.
Easy Vegan White Bean Soup with Herbs
- 2 cups White bean see notes
- 3 cups Water + more for soaking
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 sml Brown onion diced
- 3 tablespoon Parsley fresh, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro Coriander, fresh, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- ½ small Lemon juiced. Adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon Salt adjust to taste
- 1 small Birds eye red chilli optional for garnish - thinly sliced
- Soak white beans in water overnight (triple the amount of water to bean ratio) Skip this step if you are using canned white beans.2 cups White bean, 3 cups Water
- Over medium heat, add oil, onion and sweat until translucent. Add drained white beans, garlic and salt. Stir through for about 30 sec.1 tablespoon Olive oil, 1 sml Brown onion, 3 cloves Garlic, 1 teaspoon Salt
- Add water, fresh parsley and coriander (cilantro) bring to a soft boil. Turn heat to med-low and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.3 tablespoon Parsley, 1 tablespoon Cilantro
- Turn heat off, stir through fresh lemon juice. Optional - garnish with chilli. Serve warm.½ small Lemon, 1 small Birds eye red chilli
N.B., nutrition info is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. This will vary based on the specific ingredients you use.
If you enjoyed this recipe, consider supporting my work for the cost of a cup of coffee.