Green Beans Recipe known as Loubieh Bi Zeit in Arabic is a versatile dish which can be enjoyed using nearly all types of fresh beans and can be eaten as a main dish or as a side with Lebanese bread. Traditionally Loubieh is served as part of a mezze. As I am currently avoiding gluten at the moment, I love eating this dish with rice. I generally will mix it up in a bowl and gobble it!
The beauty about this dish, is that it's made in one pot and in around 30 minutes or less. I like to under-cook my green beans (loubieh), to keep more of the nutrients and crunch.
However, traditionally the green beans are braised until they are completely tender and the green isn't so bright.
Just how I like it - Loubieh Bi Zeit mixed with rice.
Tips for sauteing green beans
- Use only fresh green beans
- Trim ends of green beans and de-string if necessary
- Evenly chop green beans for even cooking
What you'll need to make Green Beans / loubieh recipe
- 1 kg Fresh green beans (or flat beans) trimmed and evenly chopped
- 4 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 6 large cloves garlic crushed
- 1-2 large Tomato diced
- ¼ cup Water
- 1 tbsp Salt
- Optional: 1-2 tbsp tomato paste (I like to use this as I mix up my loubieh with rice and need it to be a little wet)
- Optional: Cinnamon or Lebanese 7 Spice (all spice is fine)
How to make Loubieh Bi Zeit
Step 1 - Over med-high heat, heat the oil in a saucepan
Step 2 - Add onions, sweat until translucent
Step 3 - Add garlic, saute for a min
Step 4 - Turn heat to low-med
Step 5 - Add green beans. Stir through and fry for about 10 min until the beans wilt
Step 6 - Add tomato, tomato paste, seasoning, water and salt
Step 7 - Cover and braise on low heat for 30 minutes.
Step 8 - Serve cold or warm and a side of rice or Lebanese bread.
Other Vegan Recipes
Loubieh Bi Ziet (Sautéed Green Bean Recipe)
- Over med-high heat, heat the oil in a pot
- Add onions, sweat until translucent
- Add garlic, saute for a min
- Turn heat to low-med
- Add green beans. Stir through and fry for about 10 min until the beans wilt
- .Add tomato, tomato paste, water and salt
- Cover and cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve cold or warm and a side of rice or Lebanese bread.