Lebanese fasolia is a deliciously hearty red kidney bean stew in a thick tomato base seasoned in aromatic spices.
This website receives a commission/fee for each purchase bought through the affiliate links on this website
What is Fasolia?
Fasolia, is the Arabic word (فاصوليا) for bean it is also known as fasoulia, fasoolia, fasolya, foosalia and is pronounced fah·soo·li·ya
The Middle Eastern dish of Fasolia is a bean stew that is generally made with cubes of beef.
As this red kidney bean stew recipe is a vegan version, to compensate for the missing beef, I've added in chunks of tomato which help to give it a thicker texture.
In Arabic, red kidney beans are known as “fasolia hamra” which translates to "red bean".
😋Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It's healthy and full of plant protein - filling
- The whole family will love it - I've never met anyone who doesn't like Lebanese red kidney bean stew
- It's inexpensive and excellent as left-overs (can be frozen) the flavors infuse further.
- Dietary friendly - vegan, gluten free, soy free, corn free, oil-free / low-fat (optional), suitable for a WFPB diet
✔️Ingredients You’ll Need
Notes on some of the ingredients, the full list of ingredients and their measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
Red kidney beans (fasolia) dry or canned are fine.
If using dry (affiliate link) (my preference) sift through and discard unwanted beans.
Rinse in cold water to rid of any dirt and debris and then submerged in double the amount of water to soak overnight.
Beans will swell and rise almost double in size.
If using canned kidney beans - drain, rinse and drain again.
Brown onion is diced. For this vegan recipe, I have upped the amount.
Fresh garlic cloves will need to be crushed
Tomato paste is used to make a rich base
Salt and pepper to taste. I prefer to use Himalayan salt (affiliate link) and fresh crack pepper.
Olive oil is optional. In the video I have omitted the oil and replaced it with water to keep in line with a WFPB no oil diet.
Lebanese 7 spice is an aromatic blend of seven spices that’s from Lebanon, you can make your own or purchase. I prefer to make my own, it’s fresher! Try my Lebanese 7 spice recipe.
Roma tomatoes are diced and softened part of the tomato base. If you can’t buy this type of tomato, use your preferred.
Red Chilli is optional and finely chopped. Fresh, or powdered chilli is fine. This complements the black pepper to create some heat. Use to taste.
🍛How to Make Fasolia
Step 1 - Over medium - high heat, in a non-stick pot, add 1 tablespoon of water (or olive oil) and sweat onion until translucent. Add crushed garlic and chilli, stir through thoroughly.
Step 2 - Add spices and seasoning, coating both onion and garlic. Add diced tomatoes, cover and cook for 10 minutes to soften. Once tomatoes have softened, stir through tomato paste.
Step 3 - Stir through kidney beans until well coated, then add water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and allow to cook for approximately 30 - 35 minutes or until beans are tender. Serve warm.
⭐ Pro Tips
This fasolia recipe can be made as a watery stew or thick.
If you'd like to have extra soup, just add a little bit more water and additional seasoning and Lebanese 7 spice to taste.
Yes, it can be made with borlotti bean (cranberry bean), white bean, black eyed peas, and lima beans (butter beans). The taste may vary slightly and people who love this stew will often have a preference.
For this recipe it is highly recommended when using dry beans as it shortens the cooking time considerably. If using canned red kidney beans, soaking is not necessary.
Fasolia is eaten with Roz (which means rice), sometimes this dish is called fasolia w riz. it is almost exclusively eaten with this type of rice vermicelli rice and a side of Molokhia (my ultimate comfort food) which is jute mallow leaves.
I like to add some pickled veg too - yum!
Here are some other bean or stew recipes you might want to try;
Lebanese potato stew known as yakhnet batata
Bazella w riz - Lebanese stewed peas
Okra Stew - Another hearty Lebanese stew called bamia
Try my Loubieh Bi Zeit (Green Beans Recipe in Olive Oil)
The tastiest vegetable rice Lebanese Rice Vegan.
For one of Lebanon's national dishes, try my Lebanese Kibbeh (vegetarian kibbeh).
Malfouf is Lebanese cabbage rolls, made with spices and in one pot
If you're after a dessert try a vegan rice pudding, you can't go past my Lebanese rice pudding (Riz Bi Haleeb).
Ghallaba a veggie saute also using 7 spice.
Whilst not Lebanese, another comforting and nutritious meal is my yellow split pea dal.
Do you like enjoying beans as a snack? Try my Lupini beans recipe
Foul moudamas - a famous beans for breakfast meal
Stew style butter beans by Moon Spoon and Yum.
Did you enjoy making this vegan Lebanese fasolia recipe? I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below and give me a rating. This will help me sustain Plant Based Folk.
Alternatively, did you happen to take a photo of your food? Tag me @plantbasedfolk on Instagram to be featured via stories. If you love sharing your vegan food pics, join the PBF community group. If you’re into fast cooking vids, join me on Tiktok.
Lebanese Fasolia (Kidney Bean Stew)
- 500 grams Kidney beans dry variety, soaked over night preferred.
- 2-3 medium Brown onion diced
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 140 grams Tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil optional
- 1 tablespoon Lebanese 7 spice alternative - all spice
- 6 small-medium Roma tomatoes diced
- 5 cups Water
- 1 small Red Chilli OPTIONAL. Finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon Black pepper cracked
Overnight (or a few hours) prep
- Sort kidney beans to rid of any unwanted beans and soak overnight in water. Fill water at least 5cm on top of beans as they will swell and rise.500 grams Kidney beans
- Over medium - high heat, in a non-stick pot, add 1 tablespoon of water (or olive oil) and sweat onion until translucent. Add crushed garlic and chilli, stir through thoroughly.2-3 medium Brown onion, 2 cloves Garlic, 1 tablespoon Olive oil, 1 small Red Chilli
- Add spices and seasoning, coating both onion and garlic. Add diced tomatoes, cover and cook for 10 minutes to soften. Once tomatoes have softened, stir through tomato paste.1 tablespoon Salt, 1 tablespoon Lebanese 7 spice, 6 small-medium Roma tomatoes, 140 grams Tomato paste
- Stir through kidney beans until well coated, then add water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and allow to cook for approximately 30 - 35 minutes or until beans are tender. Serve warm.5 cups Water
N.B., nutrition info is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. This will vary based on the specific ingredients you use.
How many cans would it take?
About 4-5 cans.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe - plus all the other gorgeous ones listed above - like being back in my mums kitchen again xx
That is an amazing compliment. Thank you Pete, so glad you like fasolia as much as I do!
Any suggestions for a veg to add to the dish, or to replace the Roma tomatoes. TIA
Whilst it's not customary to add veg to the dish, carrots would work.
We love eating pickled vegetables and fresh greens or salad on the side.
Hi, you mention both seasoning and Libanese 7 spice. What do you mean with seasoning?
This means salt and pepper. I will make this clearer.
Turned out absolutely delicious. The sauce was so rich and intense...but in a nice, spicy way. I served it to my Egyptian friend and she gave it 5 stars!
I am so pleased you guys loved it. It's such an amazing flavor, I always look forward to eating fasolia.