Easy vegetable Lebanese rice vegan recipe that will change the way you eat your rice. No more boring rice. It's got loads of flavour, it's got loads of vegetables and is topped browned nuts. This rice can be eaten with just a salad (we choose fattoush) or can accompany many different foods. Trust me, you need to try this rice.
In Arabic this recipe is called Roz bel Khodra (rice with vegetables) I've adapted this recipe off Roz bi Djaj, which is rice with chicken. I was craving this rice and felt it would work well with peas, carrots and corn (the frozen variety) I am glad I made it, as not only do I think it's epic, but so does my family.
The original version is fattier, which can't be properly replicated, so I made sure the oil from the nuts incorporated into the rice.
This vegetable Lebanese rice has been requested by my family every week for the last 4 weeks. Which makes me happy as it tastes amazing and is really easy to make.
Another amazing Arabic rice to try is Maqloubeh - this is upside-down vegetable rice. Or vegan biryani by Get Set Vegan.
- 2 cups Basmati Rice Long grain is fine
- 1 tbsp Plant based butter
- 2 tbsp Olive oil*
- ⅓ cup Pine Nuts
- ⅓ cup Raw cashew nuts
- ⅓ cup Raw almonds
- 1 med-large Brown onion finely diced
- 2 cups Frozen peas, carrots & corn fresh is fine
- 1-2 tbsp Lebanese 7 spice* (All spice is fine)
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Seasoning (Salt & Pepper) to taste
- 3 cups Water
Finely dice onion and set aside
In a pan, over med-high heat, melt plant based butter and olive oil. Add cashews and almonds and brown until golden and then set aside, using the leftover oils brown the pine nuts and set all nuts aside.
In a saucepan, heat up 1 tablespoon olive oil (+ oil left over from nuts) and sweat onion until translucent.
Add in basmati rice on top of the onion and stir until completely coated in oil
Add Lebanese 7 spice & cinnamon to the rice and stir until completely coated
Add water over rice and onion.
Add in vegetables and stir through the rice, ensuring vegetables are evening dispersed
Add desired amount of salt & pepper. Taste to check.
Allow rice cook for approximately 20 minutes or until rice is done
Serve rice with browned nuts on top.
Brown pine nuts separately to the cashews and almonds as they are smaller in size they will brown quicker. If you put them all together, the pine nuts will just burn
To ensure the nuts are brown evenly, continuously stir them around in the oil until the desired golden hue is achieved
Use the oil from browning the nuts in the rice, this will help with flavouring the vegetable Lebanese rice
If you can't access Lebanese 7 spice, then try all spice, this is very close.
Rice should be submerged in about 1cm of water to cook
Use a fork to test out if rice is cooked, rice grains should easily separate
If you have a sweet tooth, you could add sultanas. I personally love this, but the males in my family sadly do not. (I should just put it in there seen how I am the cook haha, they should deal with it!)
Basmati rice and the small cuts of vegetables cook quickly. Approximately 15-20minutes.
Try this rice with shatta a mouthwatering Middle Eastern hot sauce.
Looking for a soup to start with, try my delicious adas bi hamod (Lebanese lemon lentil soup)
Or try this peas and carrots stew called bazella w riz
Lebanese Rice Vegan
- 300 g Basmati Rice 1.5 cups. Long grain is fine
- 1 tablespoon Plant based butter
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 50 g Pine Nuts ⅓ cup
- 50 g Raw cashew nuts ⅓ cup
- 50 g Raw almonds ⅓ cup
- 200 g Brown onion finely diced
- 240 g Frozen peas, carrots & corn
- 8 g Lebanese 7 spice 1.5 tbsp. All spice is fine
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Seasoning (Salt & Pepper) to taste
- 625 ml Water 2.5 cups
- Finely dice onion and set aside
- In a pan, over med-high heat, melt plant based butter and olive oil. Add cashews and almonds and brown until golden and then set aside, using the leftover oils brown the pine nuts and set all nuts aside.
- In a saucepan, heat up 1 tablespoon olive oil and sweat onion until translucent.
- Add in basmati rice ont op of the onion and stir until completely coated in oil
- Add Lebanese 7 spice & cinnamon to the rice and stir until completely coated
- Add water over rice and onion.
- Add in vegetables and stir through the rice, ensuring vegetables are evening dispersed
- Add desired amount of salt & pepper. Taste to check.
- Allow rice cook for approximately 20 minutes or until rice is done
- Serve rice with browned nuts on top.
N.B., nutrition info is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. This will vary based on the specific ingredients you use.
Here are other vegan Lebanese recipes to try;