Home baked beetroot chips are easy to make and healthy to snack on. These are vegan and gluten free.
This website receives a commission/fee for each purchase bought through the affiliate links on this website.
Sometimes I feel like a packet of chips (or crisps, depends on where you're from) but I really don't want to go down that path, you know the one where you start eating any type of crisps and can't stop because they're so good - help me!
So here is something to help combat those cravings; home baked beetroot chips.
Beetroot chips are also known as beet chips or beets crisps. They can be made with a variety of different coloured fresh beetroot. It doesn’t really matter which coloured beet you choose, so go for your favourite.
😋Are beetroot leaves edible?
Fresh beetroot usually comes with attached leaves. Did you know fresh beetroot leaves are edible? And they taste so good.
For a quick beetroot leaves recipe after giving them a good wash, chop them up and pan-fry them with some onion, garlic and your favourite seasoning. Serve them as a side. Yum!
Beetroot leaves make a wonderful substitute for other greens such as spinach, silverbeet or sorrel leaves. If you’re into these types of greens, you should try my Lebanese spinach stew sabanekh wa riz.
How wonderful, two meals from the one produce.
The perfect single beetroot chip fresh out of the oven
Why you’ll love this beetroot chips recipe
- Easy to make
- Loads of flavour
- Guilt free snack
- Gluten free
- Enjoy them on their own or with your favourite dip, try my authentic baba ghanouj eggplant dip with mint
- The whole family will love freshly baked beet chips
🍟How to make beetroot chips (crisps)
Step 1 - Thoroughly wash beetroot, especially in crevices to rid all soil
Step 2 - Thoroughly dry beetroot.
Step 3 - Use either a mandolin* or a very sharp knife to evenly slice beetroot into .2 .3 mm slices
Step 4 - In a bowl, add cut beetroot chip slices, olive oil, seasoning, and toss together until evenly coated. Do not drench in oil.
Step 5 - Line tray(s) with baking paper and place each beetroot singularly on tray(s).
Step 6 - Place tray(s) in the middle of the oven and bake in oven for approx 15-20 min or until crispy
Slice up beetroot as evenly as possibly, to ensure even baking - watch the slicing happen here
I highly recommend using a mandolin, as they are a lot quicker to work with than manually slicing. Here's the mandolin I use*
If you have a high powered and sharp bladed food processor, you could try using this too. I know the Breville* is highly recommended.
Note: end bits of beetroot will bake quicker and may even burn due to the smaller size - watch out for these when baking.
💭Beetroot Chips Tips
Rid any dampness on the beetroot (from washing) will cause the beetroot to steam rather than crisp.
Do not overlap beetroot when placing on trays. This will cause the chips to not crisp.
Fresh beetroot taste completely different to canned beetroot which generally contains unwanted sugar and food acids. As canned beetroot has a higher content of water, I do not recommend using them.
When baking multiple trays of beetroot crisps, you will need to rotate the trays when placing in the next batch.
Try and minimise the amount of times the oven is opened and closed. This affects the baking of the beetroot.
Add your favourite flavouring/spices such as zaatar or rosemary or dukkah
If you have a surplus of beetroots, try making a vegan beetroot salad. It's perfect for any lunch or dinner table.
Cool beets chips down to room temp before storing
Lined an air tight container with paper towel - I find this helps with absorbing moisture
Store in pantry for several days
If storing in a container, allow to completely cool before closing the lid on the container. If the beetroot chips are still warm, condensation will form and create sogginess. Or, they could be under-baked.
When dealing with fresh beetroot, always wear an apron and if possible gloves as once beetroot is cut the bright red gorgeous colour bleeds out and stains anything in its contact.
📖 Other Recipes
- Activated soaked almonds are another healthy snack
- An amazing snack that is healthy and high in protein is Lupini beans. You only need 3 ingredients!
- Similar to this recipe - you need to try sweet potato chips - another easy and healthy snack.
- If you really love beetroot, then you need to check out for easy roasted pickled beets
- For a different type of veggie, check out my sticky maple vegan brussels sprouts.
Did you enjoy this baked beet chips recipe Leave me a comment below
Do you enjoy home baked beetroot chips? Or other types of baked chips? What are your favourite flavours? Tag Plant Based Folk on Instagram #plantbasedfolk
Delight your taste buds with our other vegan snack recipes.
Home Baked Beetroot Chips (Healthy Crisps)
- 2 Fresh whole beetroot
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil (enough to cover beetroot but not soak)
- Seasoning - to taste
- Preheat oven to 200C. (392F)
- Cut off leaves (tip: you can set these aside and also bake as crisps if you like)
- Thoroughly rinse each beet, ensuring no dirt is left on
- With skin on, using a mandolin or knife, thinly slice beetroot. A mandolin will ensure each chip is cut exactly the same thinness which will create even baking.
- In a bowl, add cut beetroot, olive oil and seasoning and toss together until evenly coated. Do not drench in oil.
- Line tray(s) with baking paper and place each beetroot singularly on tray(s).
- Place tray(s) in the middle of the oven and bake in oven for approx 15-20 min or until crispy.
- Tip: Watch out toward the end of the baking as they will turn brown quickly!
- Let cool before serving.
- Slice up beetroot as evenly as possibly, to ensure even baking - watch the slicing happen here
- I highly recommend using a mandolin, as they are a lot quicker to work with than manually slicing. Here's the mandolin I use
- If you have a high powered and sharp bladed food processor, you could try using this too.
- Note: end bits of beetroot will bake quicker and may even burn due to the smaller size - watch out for these when baking.
N.B., nutrition info is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. This will vary based on the specific ingredients you use.