Homemade sweet potato chips are a healthy snack for the whole family to enjoy.
This website receives a commission/fee for each purchase bought through the affiliate links on this website.
Homemade crispy sweet potato chips are the best! Everyone loves crisps to snack on, so why not snack on the healthier version (as a bonus they are vegan).
These sweet potato chips are both sweet and salty, a fabulous combination.
I used the white variety of sweet potato, however, the orange and the purple varieties are equally good.
How to make sweet potato chips
Step 1 - Wash and dry sweet potato
Step 2 - Slice up as evenly & thinly as possible, best to use a mandolin slicer. I use this Gefu slicer*
Step 3 - In a mixing bowl, add sweet potato, olive oil and salt and thoroughly mix all together until sweet potato is completely coated
Step 4 - Place individual slices onto a lined baking tray
Step 5 - Bake in the oven until golden brown
Tips when making these crisps
Slices should be thin and not thick, around 2mm in thickness max
Keep a close eye on the sweet potato slices whilst baking as some will bake faster than others.
Pick out the baked ones and place on a wire rack to cool.
Turn the slices over once or twice until golden brown.
If you don't have a mandolin*, try using a peeler. A really good (sharp) mandolin however will make the world of difference; they are faster to work with.
Keep the oven as hot as possible
Best eaten fresh
I hope you enjoy these crisps, they are great on their own or you could use them to dip into your favourite dip.
What to dip sweet potato chips in?
- Try my Baba Ghanouj (Eggplant Dip) With Mint, a smokey dip.
- Tomato salsa
- Sweet chilli sauce
My sweet potato chips are soggy
There could be a few reasons why this has happened;
- You didn't bake them long enough (undercooked)
- The oven function was set incorrectly
- The slices were overlapped when placed on the tray to bake
- They were stored in a container (or covered) whilst warm creating condensation
- The chips aren't fresh anymore (best served immediately)
Other vegan snacks that might interest you;
Looking for more sweet potato recipes? Try my irresistible sweet potato and pumpkin soup.
Did you make this? I'd love to know! Leave me a comment below with a ★★★★★ rating or tag @plantbasedfolk on social media.
Sweet Potato Chips
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius (428 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Slice up your 🍠 sweet potato as evenly and thinly as possible
- Place sliced up sweet potato into a mixing bowl and add olive oil and salt and mix well, evenly coating sweet potato
- Line your baking tray with baking (parchment) paper
- Layout slices on lined tray - do not over lap any slices
- Bake in an oven until golden brown.
N.B., nutrition info is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. This will vary based on the specific ingredients you use.
If you enjoyed this recipe, consider supporting my work for the cost of a cup of coffee.
Other Vegan Recipes
- So healthy and delish Home Baked Beetroot Chips
- Light and fresh Lebanese Potato Salad
- The best and tastiest Vegan Shepherd's Pie Gluten Free
- Easy Sweet Potato & Zucchini Fritters