Okay, really, you don't need to feel any type of guilt when you eat these oil free roasted pumpkin seeds that are really crunchy.
Pumpkin seeds are a staple in a Lebanese person's pantry and almost always served to home-guests, on picnics or in a nut mix called makhlouta (which translates to 'mixture') for any type of social gathering .
In fact, Lebanese people not only eat roasted pumpkin seeds - think watermelon seeds, sunflower seeds, rockmelon seeds and more.
I believe the most common type is the heavily salted version. Lots of salt isn't always ideal, so here is a healthy version of home roasted pumpkin seeds.
What you'll need for this recipe
- One pumpkin/squash - you choose the variety
- Salt - for taste
That's it, so simple.
How to make healthy roasted pumpkin seeds
Step 1 - Wash freshly extracted pumpkin seeds to rid of any stringy flesh
Step 2 - Layout pumpkin seeds on a tea towel, separating each seed. Allow to air dry for at least ½ day preferable in lots of sunlight (must not be moist, moisture will cause seeds to steam rather than roast)
Step 3 - Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 356 degrees Fahrenheit
Step 4 - Line baking tray with baking paper
Step 5 - Lay pumpkin seeds onto tray, ensure none overlap
Step 6 - Sprinkle salt evenly across pumpkin seeds
Step 7 - Place in oven in the middle rack and roast for approx. 7 minutes or until golden
Step 8 - Allow to cool before eating.
Oil Free Roasted Pumpkin Seed Tips
Seeds of any pumpkin/squash is fine
Add your favourite dried herb or spice to suit your palate
Pumpkin seeds can store for weeks in an air tight jar
Ensure pumpkin seeds are completely dry before you roast. If there is any moisture, this will cause the seeds to steam and not yield desired result
Air drying time will differ between different geo locations. If you're in a colder climate, you might need a day to dry
Roasting pumpkin seeds is a great idea; in addition to being a super food, utilising the seeds creates less wastage.
Looking for another vegan pumpkin recipe? Try dried mushrooms and vegetable stuffed pumpkin.
If you're looking for another healthy snack, try soaked almonds - they are easier on the gut and creamy.
Oil Free Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 whole Pumpkin any pumpkin will do
- 1 sprinkle Salt to taste
- Cut pumpkin in half
- Use a spoon to scoop out all the pumpkin seeds
- Wash pumpkin seeds to rid of any stringy flesh
- Layout pumpkin seeds on a tea towel, separating each seed. Allow to air dry for at least ½ day preferable in lots of sunlight (must not be moist, moisture will cause seeds to steam rather than roast)
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 356 degrees Fahrenheit
- Line baking tray with baking paper
- Lay pumpkin seeds onto tray, ensure none overlap
- Sprinkle salt evenly across pumpkin seeds
- Place in oven in the middle rack and roast for approx. 7 minutes or until golden
- Allow to cool before eating.
- Any kind of pumpkin seeds can be used
- Roasted pumpkin seeds can be stored in a airtight jar in the pantry