Vibrant in color and flavor, this easy vegan pumpkin and carrot soup with ginger is flavored with caraway and sage resulting in a warming, smooth and comforting finish. Naturally gluten free and made without oil.
This website receives a commission/fee for each purchase bought through the affiliate links on this website.
😋Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- All natural ingredients only
- Packed with goodness, great for cooler weather
- Excellent for big batch soup, stores well in the fridge and freezer
- Delicate sweet flavor with spices
- Dietary friendly - vegan, gluten free, dairy free, nut free, soy free, oil free
🎃Ingredients You’ll Need
Notes on some of the ingredients, the full list of ingredients and their measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
Pumpkin is one of the main ingredients of this soup. I like to use either Kent or Butternut pumpkins (squash). Whichever you choose, peel, de-seed (make roasted pumpkin seeds without oil) and chop into similar size pieces.
Orange Carrots should be peeled and chopped into chunky pieces, a little smaller than the pumpkin as carrots cook slower. Medium sized ones are ideal.
Brown onion should be diced which will be sweated in a small amount of vegetable stock.
Vegetable stock, broth or bouillon should be at least 5 cups worth. You may wish to add salt depending on the type you use.
Fresh ginger adds pepperiness which is uplifted by added pepper. Peel and grate prior to using.
Fresh sage leaves add an amazing strong unique minty/musky taste to the pumpkin and carrots. Slice up before using.
Ground caraway has a nice fragrant flavoring which complements the sage.
Ground turmeric will brighten up the orange coloring.
Tip: Feel free to adjust the ginger, sage, pepper and caraway to suit your liking.
🎃 How to Make Vegan Pumpkin and Carrot Soup
Step 1 - Over high heat in a pot, add ⅛ cup vegetable stock and onion. Sweat until soft and translucent. Add pumpkin, carrot, caraway, turmeric, pepper and remaining vegetable stock. Bring to a soft boil, then turn heat down to medium - low and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add ginger and sage and cook for another 5 minutes. Turn off heat and allow the pot to stand for 5 minutes.
Step 2 - Using an immersion blender (affiliate link), blend until a smooth soup consistency has been achieved. Serve warm.
Tip: If you do not have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blender. Do not pour boiling soup into the blender though, and leave the lid ajar.
Using 5 cups of vegetable stock will achieve a thicker style soup, if you prefer a thinner soup, try adding an additional ½ - 1 cup of vegetable stock until you achieve your desired consistency.
For a creamier soup, stir through a cup of dairy free cream or coconut cream after the soup has cooked.
Load up your pumpkin and carrot soup with toppings such as
Toasted seeds or nuts
Your favorite croutons
Or serve vegetables on the side, such as
Air fryer french fries or sweet potato fries
Allow the soup to completely cool down to room temperature, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to five days or freeze for up to three months in portioned out sizes.
Here are a few other vegan soups to try
- Sweet potato and pumpkin soup
- Low fat potato soup
- Pumpkin soup without cream
- Easy vegan broccoli soup
Vegan Pumpkin and Carrot Soup With Ginger
- Over high heat in a pot, add ⅛ cup vegetable stock and onion and sweat until soft and translucent. Add pumpkin, carrot, caraway, turmeric, pepper and remaining vegetable stock. Bring to a soft boil, then turn heat down and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add ginger and sage and cook for another 5 minutes.Turn off heat and allow the pot to sit for 5 minutes.1 kilogram Pumpkin, 4 medium Carrots, 1 medium Brown Onion, 1 Inch Ginger, 4 large Sage leaves, 1 teaspoon Ground Caraway, ½ teaspoon Ground Turmeric, ¼ teaspoon Ground Pepper, 5 cups Vegetable stock
- Using an immersion blender, blend until a smooth soup consistency has been achieved. Serve warm.
N.B., nutrition info is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. This will vary based on the specific ingredients you use.