A comforting and easy vegan shepherd's pie without lentils. Each bite is so comforting, with the bottom veggie layer seeping into the creamy potato layer to create a deep flavour and amazing golden crust.
This website receives a commission/fee for each purchase bought through the affiliate links on this website.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- This is a very easy recipe for how to make vegan shepherd's pie no lentils using substitute meat
- It's flavourful and comforting. You will want a second serving!
- I made this for a friend who is clueless about a vegan diet (the word vegan is daunting to her) she ate it and didn't even realize it was vegan until I mentioned it afterward. It convinced her to eat meat-free at least once a week!
- The full recipe can be found in the recipe card below is both vegan and gluten free*
Tamari sauce adds a depth of flavouring and is typically used in place of soy sauce however if you can't get your hands on this, try using Worcestershire sauce.
No need to add salt; as the tamari sauce in the bottom layer is salty enough and will seep through the top layer. However, if you prefer a little more salt than this, add a sprinkle in the potato mash layer whilst mashing.
If you prefer your mash to be silkier, then add more dairy-free milk. I prefer mine to be a little bit more firm.
Baking can take anywhere from 25-35 minutes until you achieve the golden brown colour on top. The ingredients are already cooked, so it's up to you how golden you'd like it to be.
Serve it with a side of veggies for extra fibre, try it with these air fryer broccoletti.
Once the meatless shepherd's pie has cooled to room temperature, portion it out placing the servings into airtight containers and freeze for up to three months.
It will keep in the fridge for up to five days in a sealed container.
More Hearty Vegan Recipes
A very hearty and comforting yellow split pea dal recipe
A wholesome meal of kidney bean stew Lebanese fasoulia
An easy vegan lasagna (gluten free)
Creamy and easy vegan mushroom pasta, great as a weeknight meal.
Did you make this? I'd love to know! Leave me a comment below with a ★★★★★ rating or tag @plantbasedfolk on social media.
Easy Vegan Shepherd's Pie No Lentils
- 800 g Beyond Beef Minced (ground) meat substitute
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil divided into two. 1 tablespoon for frying and 1 for oiling baking dish
- 1½ tablespoon Tomato paste
- 1½ tablespoon Tamari Sauce Sub: soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon Corn starch
- 1¾ cups Vegetable stock
- 1 medium Brown onion finely diced
- ¾ cup Celery finely diced (2 celery sticks)
- ¾ cup Carrot finely diced (1 large or 2 med carrots)
- ½ teaspoon Cracked black pepper
- 1 kg Potato about 6-8 med potatoes, quartered
- 70 g Dairy free butter 50g (1¾oz) for mash and 20g (¾oz) for brushing on top of the potato mash layer
- ½ cup Dairy free milk add a little more if desired
- Water for boiling potatoes
- Prepare all the ingredients prior to cooking, this will make all the steps easier. Preheat the oven to 392F (200C).
- Heat fry pan on medium-high heat and add olive oil. Once olive oil is hot sweat the diced onion until translucent. Add the diced celery and carrot to the onion and soften.2 tablespoon Olive oil, 1 medium Brown onion, ¾ cup Celery, ¾ cup Carrot
- Add the minced (ground) meat substitute and stir through until it has broken down. Then add tomato paste, tamari sauce, black pepper and vegetable stock. Stir through until everything is evenly coated. Sprinkle cornstarch on top and evenly stir it through. Turn the heat down to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.800 g Beyond Beef, 1½ tablespoon Tomato paste, 1½ tablespoon Tamari Sauce, 2 tablespoon Corn starch, 1¾ cups Vegetable stock, ½ teaspoon Cracked black pepper
- Whilst the bottom layer is simmering. In a large pot, place the peeled and quartered potato and submerge in water. Boil potato until soft and then drain water. About 15-20 minutes depending on the size of your potato pieces.1 kg Potato, Water
- In a mixing bowl, add boiled potatoes, dairy free milk, dairy free butter and mash together well, until a smooth consistency has been achieved.70 g Dairy free butter, ½ cup Dairy free milk
Constructing Vegan Shepherd's Pie
- Oil baking dish. Place the cooked bottom layer into the tray and evenly distribute. Place mashed potato on top and evenly spread out on top of the bottom layer.2 tablespoon Olive oil
- Add the dairy-free butter on top of the mashed potato layer and spread around until evenly coated. Place vegan shepherd's pie in the middle of the oven and allow the top layer to turn golden. Alternatively, broil until the top layer is golden. Optional - garnish with freshly chopped parsley or thyme and serve70 g Dairy free butter
N.B., nutrition info is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. This will vary based on the specific ingredients you use.
If you enjoyed this recipe, consider supporting my work for the cost of a cup of coffee.