Vegan potato and leek soup is filling, cozy and creamy using simple ingredients consisting of potatoes, leeks, oats and broth.
There is no other vegetable I love more than potatoes, so it’s with excitement I share my easy vegan potato leek soup. If you’re a fan of potato soup, then be sure to add this healthy version to your list.
😋Why you’ll love this recipe
- It's a wholesome and tasty soup the whole family will love
- This vegan potato and leek soup is oil free, nut free, gluten free, corn free* and soy free.
- Very easy to make, ready in around 30 minutes.
- You can choose a range of garnishes to suit.
🥦What You’ll Need
🥘 Ingredients Notes
Potatoes - use all-rounder potatoes, which have been peeled and uniformly chopped.
Leek tastes similar to an onion, you will only be using the white and light green parts of the leek.
Very rarely have I ever cut open a leek that didn’t contain dirt in between the layers. Be sure to thoroughly clean prior to slicing.
You can do this by cutting off the tops (the dark green parts of the leeks are tough) and then slicing each leek lengthways to reveal the insides. Place the leeks into cold water with a capful of vinegar and then swirl around until the dirt is removed.
Rinse in cold water again to rid the vinegar and then pat dry.
Garlic - use freshly crushed garlic where possible, otherwise frozen or garlic flakes can be used.
Rolled oats add a creamy and rich element, be sure to purchase a gluten-free version*, as most oats are processed in facilities where gluten is handled.
Oats are a good source of plant protein.
Vegetable stock adds flavouring and brings this soup together. No additional salt is needed. Since I switched my diet, I now use a good veggie stock* Whichever vegetable stock you choose, read the label to ensure it is free of any ingredients you don’t want.
Black cracked pepper is used to add some pepperiness.
Fresh chives are added as a garnish.
🔪 Step by step guide
Here's how to make vegan potato leek soup
Step 1 - In a large pot heat over medium heat, 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable stock and add sliced leek. Fry until wilted.
Step 2 - Stir in garlic for about 30 seconds and add all other ingredients. Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat to low-medium and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
Step 3 - Turn heat off and then use an immersion blender to blend the vegan potato and leek soup until just smooth. Garnish with chives and serve warm.
💭 Pro Tips
Blending is only done until the soup is smooth, do not over blend as this can cause this soup to turn gummy. Note; using an immersion blender will result in the soup being slightly textured.
Storage - allow this leek and potato soup to completely cool down and store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
The consistency of this vegan potatoes soup will coat the back of a spoon.
A small amount of olive oil can be used if preferred to fry off the leek until lightly golden.
Vegetable stock generally carries enough salt, however, you may want to add salt to taste.
Chilli can be added for added heat, use either freshly mince chilli, chilli flakes or chilli oil - all to taste.
Fresh herbs such as thyme or marjoram can be added if desired. However, note this will alter the flavour profile.
Garnish can be left simple with just chives, or you can load your soup with homemade croutons or roasted chickpeas as croutons or various chopped fresh herbs and seeds.
Absolutely. Once fully cooked, all the vegetables are soft enough to eat, just omit the step for blending this soup.
Yes, follow the instructions as per this vegan potato leek soup recipe, allow it to completely cool down to room temperature and then store in an air tight container in the fridge. You may need to stir through a small amount of water as the soup will thicken when chilled.
Did you enjoy making this vegan potato and leek soup? I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below and give me a rating. This will help me sustain Plant Based Folk.
Alternatively, did you happen to take a photo of your vegan soup? Tag me @plantbasedfolk on Instagram to be featured via stories. If you love sharing your vegan food pics, join the PBF community group.
If you’re into fast cooking vids, join me on Tiktok.
Vegan Potato and Leek Soup (Gluten Free)
- 5-6 medium Potatoes peeled and uniformly chopped
- 2 large Leeks washed, dried and thinly sliced
- 2 small Garlic Cloves crushed
- 2 litres Vegetable stock
- ½ cup Rolled oats gluten free
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper cracked
- 1 small handful Chives finely chopped
- In a large pot heat over medium heat, 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable stock and add sliced leek. Fry until wilted.2 litres Vegetable stock, 2 large Leeks
- Stir in garlic for about 30 seconds and then add all other ingredients. Bring to a boil and then turn down heat to low-medium and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.2 small Garlic Cloves, 2 litres Vegetable stock, ½ cup Rolled oats, ½ teaspoon Black pepper, 5-6 medium Potatoes
- Turn heat off and then use an immersion blender to blend the vegan potato and leek soup until just smooth. Garnish with chives and serve warm.1 small handful Chives