Kids won’t eat veggies? No problem, this decadent Chocolate Cake is packed with zucchini. I promise they won’t be able to tell. In fact, my teenage son and mother couldn't even tell and didn't believe me when I told them I grated zucchini into the cake.
Why you should make this Chocolate Zucchini Cake?
- It's healthier than traditional chocolate cake
- It has vegetable in it - go on trick your kids!
- There's no butter or eggs - this was replaced with plant based spread, apple sauce and aquafaba (What is aquafaba? It's the juice from chickpeas, seriously this juice is a miracle - so many uses for it, e.g., Vegan Meringue With Rose Water or here are some other ideas for aquafaba recipes)
- It's seriously moist, it's hard to resist not eating more than you should
Tips for making this Zucchini Chocolate Cake
- Use the dark green zucchini variety
- Grate zucchini fine to medium (this way the zucchini is hidden in the cake)
- Swap out olive oil with coconut oil if you prefer
- I used a bundt cake tin with a 21cm diameter
- Don't touch the sides of the cake tin when pouring in the batter, the cake won't rise evenly if you do
- Store cake in the fridge if any is left over
Here's another vegan chocolate dessert to try Chocolate Peanut Brownie Bites
Chocolate Cake with Zucchini
- 4 cups Icing sugar
- ¾ cup Cocoa powder
- ½ cup Vegan butter
- 2 tsp Apple sauce
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius (356 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Grate zucchini and set aside
- In a bowl mix flour and cocoa powered together
- Mix in remaining dry ingredients and create a well
- Add all wet ingredients into the well and mix through until cake batter forms
- In an oiled cake bundt tin, pour in cake batter.
- Bake in an oven for about 45min. This may depend on your oven, so check in on the cake at the 30min mark with a fork by stick in the fork into the cake and if it comes out with batter or gooey cake you know its not ready.
- Once cake is baked, allow it to sit for 10 min before placing it onto cooling rack. This will ensure cake doesn't crack
- Once on cooling rack allow it to cool down to room temperature before applying frosting. Otherwise frosting will melt.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings
- Using a spatula, spread on chocolate frosting
- In a bowl sift in icing sugar & cocoa powder, then combine
- Add in wet ingredients and whip together until it the consistency is thick enough to place onto the cake.