Ever wondered how to make vegan meringue? The answer is very simple - with two main ingredients; aquafaba and sugar. Optionally, a flavouring and colouring can be added for a little bit of pizzazz.
Vegan meringue with rose water - so delightful to eat. Have you had rose water before? I hope so, the taste is so fragrant.
What is aquafaba?
Aquafaba is the juice found in cans of chickpeas, or if you soak dry chickpeas, it's the left over water. It's truly amazing watching something, like chickpea juice, which most people don't give a second thought, turn into something so delicious as meringue. Here's a list of a aquafaba recipes to try.
What you'll need to make vegan meringue
- Aqua faba - approximately 120ml
- 1 tsp Cortas, Rose Water
- 1 cup raw sugar
How to make plant based meringues
The steps to making meringues out of plant only ingredients is straight forward:
- Beat aquafaba with a whisk until they form soft peaks and then add rose water. Whisk through.
- Slowly add sugar a bit at a time until all used and whisk until all sugar fully dissolved and you have a nice glossy peak.
- You can colour your meringues with food colouring. For the light pink in the above photo I used a drop of red. For swirls, as seen below, simply drop in the colouring into the meringue and then add another drop of colouring and swirl through - leave it looking like a swirl.
- Using a piping bag, pipe bite sized discs onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Ensure each disc is evenly sized to maintain even baking.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 120 degrees C / 248 degrees F for about 1.75 hours.
- 120 ml Aqua faba Canned chick pea water
- 1 tsp Rose Water
- 1 cup Raw Sugar
- 1 drop Red food colouring
- Beat aqua faba with a whisk until they form soft peaks
- Add rose water and whisk through.
- Slowly add sugar a bit at a time until all used and whisk until all sugar fully dissolved
- Once glossy peaks form add colour your meringues with food colouring. For this light pink I used a drop of red.
- Preheat oven at 120 degrees C / 248 degrees F
- Line baking tray with baking paper
- Use a piping bag, to pipe even bite sized discs onto baking tray
- For about 1.75 hours.