Sweet raw chocolate date balls aka healthy vegan truffles are made with all natural ingredients including cacao powder, Medjool dates and hidden avocado.
This website receives a commission/fee for each purchase bought through the affiliate links on this website.
😋Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Minimal all natural ingredients used
- The texture is of a vegan truffles rather than energy balls
- Can be coated in your favorite coatings, see suggestions below
- These make an ideal healthy gift
- Dietary friendly - vegan, gluten free, dairy free, nut free*, soy free, oil free, refined sugar free, flour free, egg free
🥑Ingredients You’ll Need
Notes on some of the ingredients, the full list of ingredients and their measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
Medjool dates are meaty and super sweet, making them ideal as no additional sweetener is required. Make sure your dates are at room temperature.
Ripe avocado adds a creaminess. As they are virtually flavorless, it is a great way to hide additional fruit.
Cacao powder and not cocoa powder which is generally filled with added sugars. 100% raw organic cacao powder (affiliate link) is unrefined powdered chocolate in its purest form. This may also be labeled as unsweetened cocoa powder. You can find this ingredient in the health food section of your super market if you don't purchase through my above link.
Vanilla to help with flavoring.
Salt a smidge is used to elevate the taste of these healthy truffles.
Boiling water helps the dates to soften and blend into a smooth paste.
Below are some suggestions for coating your healthy vegan truffles, however, they can also be left uncoated;
Crushed nuts of any kind, pistachio is shown in these images
Seeds such as sesame seeds or sunflower seeds
Cacao powder (affiliate link) gives a bitter flavoring which is nice with the sweetness of the vegan truffles
Desiccated coconut is lovely for the contrast in color along with the flavor
Maca powder for a malt flavor. I always recommend when using powders in your food to ensure they are organic and with nasty fillers. I like using this Tropeaca maca powder (affiliate link), their range has many certified organic powders and blends.
🍫 How to Make Chocolate Date Balls
Step 1 - In a food processor, add all ingredients and blend until smooth. You will need to scrape down the sides several times to ensure everything has been processed evenly.
Step 2 - Spoon out a spoonful of the vegan truffle mixture and roll in your wet hands (use small amounts of water at a time to wet hands as the batter is very sticky). Each ball should be about 1-2 bite sized. Roll the ball in your desired coating and place on a lined tray. Repeat until all is complete. Ensure balls are not touching each other in the tray. Cover tray with baking paper and place in the fridge, for at least two hours, overnight yields best results. Enjoy cold.
The mixture of these healthy vegan truffles is quite sticky and soft, using a little bit of water on your hands will help the mixture not stick to your hands when rolling them into shape.
Gently roll the balls in your preferred coating, as the mixture is quite sticky, the coating will stick with ease.
The ideal size for these are 1-2 bites, as they are quite sweet. The texture should be soft.
Once the balls have somewhat hardened in the fridge, place them in a single file, not touching in an airtight container for up to a week. These will also store well in the freezer for up to 1 month in an airtight freezer friendly snap lock bag. They will not freeze solid, but stay cold and can be eaten immediately.
These healthy vegan truffles are fabulous during the festive season, you may also wish to check out these vegan gluten free gingerbread cookies.
Another recipe using dates is my easy black sesame cookies.
Or enjoy these with a drink from this mimosa bar.
Raw Chocolate Date Balls (Healthy Vegan Truffles)
- In a food processor, add all ingredients and blend until smooth. You will need to scrape down the sides several times to ensure everything has been processed evenly.20 Medjool dates, ¼ cup Cacao powder, ¼ large Avocado, 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract, 1 smidge Salt, 2 tablespoons Boiling water
- Spoon out a tablespoon of the mixture and roll in your wet hands (use small amounts of water at a time to wet hands). Each ball should be about 1-2 bite sized. Roll the ball in your desired coating and place on a lined tray. Repeat until all is complete. Ensure balls are not touching each other in the tray. Cover the tray lightly with baking paper and place in the fridge, for at least two hours, overnight yields best results. Enjoy cold.
N.B., nutrition info is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. This will vary based on the specific ingredients you use.