Crunchy and healthy roasted chickpeas are a moreish vegan snack or a fabulous addition to a salad or bowl. These oven-roasted chickpeas or air fried chickpeas are tossed in spices and roasted until golden.
This website receives a commission/fee for each purchase bought through the affiliate links on this website.
If you’ve not tried healthy roasted chickpeas then you’re really doing yourself an injustice.
Roasted chickpeas are versatile vegan must-haves to make, in this post, I have prepared these as air-fried chickpeas or oven-roasted chickpeas.
Why a vegan must-have? Because not only are they delicious to snack on, but they are a great addition to salads, pasta, soups (think crouton alternative) and buddha bowls, giving a pleasant crunch.
As a person who always has chickpeas (garbanzo beans) in the pantry, I can tell you, I am happy to enjoy them this way too, I especially love making air fryer chickpeas.
Due to my Lebanese roots, chickpeas are eaten a few times a week, such as in the delicious salatat balela which is a simple yet delicious salad.
How do you like to enjoy your chickpeas?
😋Why you’ll love this recipe
- Inexpensive ingredients
- Healthy, naturally vegan and gluten free snack
- Packed with protein and fibre
- Easy recipe that is easy ideal for grab and go.
- Can be made as oven roasted chickpeas or air fried chickpeas.
✔️What You’ll Need
A note about some of the ingredients for healthy oven roasted chickpeas:
Chickpeas are easy to work with when they are canned* as they are already pre-cooked. However, if you prefer using dry chickpeas* this works too, just make sure the chickpeas are cooked prior to starting this recipe.
Spices the combination of cumin*, paprika, salt and pepper create spicy roasted chickpeas. You can adjust these to suit your tastebuds.
Avocado oil* has been used, however, I have also used olive oil in place of it.
Here’s how to make roasted chickpeas
Step 1 - Rinse and pat dry chickpeas, absorbing as much moisture as possible.
Step 2 - In a large mixing bowl, place chickpeas, spices and oil and combine thoroughly until every chickpea is coated.
Oven roasted chickpeas
Step 3 - Place chickpeas onto a tray lined with baking paper and spread chickpeas out into a single layer. Roasted in a preheated oven 200C (390F) for approximately 22 minutes or until the desired amount of crunch is achieved.
Air fried chickpeas
Step 3 - Place chickpeas into the air fryer pan, in a single layer if possible, and fry on the high setting* (see notes) for approx. 12 minutes or until the desired amount of crunch is achieved.
Step 4 - Best served immediately.
✔️Spices for roasted chickpeas
Spices can be changed to suit your preference. Here are some flavour combination ideas;
- Homemade vegan ranch seasoning
- Cinnamon and maple syrup
- Shawarma flavored using my easy shawarma spice mix
- Rosemary, thyme with salt and pepper
- Vegetable stock powder - use this sparingly until desired taste is achieved
- Ground ginger and a dash chilli powder
- Garlic powder and nutritional yeast
- Zaatar a Lebanese blend of herbs and toasted sesame seeds.
Canned chickpeas will be in brine, this is called aquafaba. Save this brine as you can make several foods out of this magical juice.
Patting dry chickpeas helps to make them crunchy when roasted.
The longer you roast chickpeas the crunchier they will be from the outside out but the drier they will be on the inside.
Oven roasting - watch out toward the end of the roasting cycle as they will brown quickly. Check-in around the 20-minute mark.
Air fryer chickpeas - if you can’t place the chickpeas into a single layer, then shake the pan halfway through to enjoy all chickpeas are crunchy.
Air fryers differ per make and model. This is the air fryer* I have used to make these healthy air fryer chickpeas. Adjust your settings accordingly.
Whilst roasted chickpeas can be stored, they are best eaten within the same day they are made, the longer they sit, the less crunchy they will be.
These can keep for several days in your pantry for easy snacking but keep in a dry place.
If you are storing these, ensure the roasted cumin chickpeas are cooled to room temperature before sealing (to avoid sogginess created by condensation)
Or for another delicious air fryer food check out this air fryer zucchini and squash recipe by Two Cloves Kitchen.
Other vegan chickpea recipes
Did you enjoy learning how to make healthy roasted chickpeas? I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below and give me a rating. This will help me sustain Plant Based Folk.
If you’re into fast cooking vids, join me on Tiktok.
Healthy Roasted Chickpeas (Oven & Air Fried)
- Rinse and pat dry chickpeas, absorbing as much moisture as possible.1 can chickpeas
- In a large mixing bowl, place chickpeas, spices and oil and combine thoroughly until every chickpea is coated.1 can chickpeas, ¼ teaspoon Salt, ¼ teaspoon Cumin, ¼ teaspoon Paprika, ¼ teaspoon Pepper, ½ tablespoon Avocado oil
Oven Roasted Chickpeas
- Place chickpeas onto a tray lined with baking paper and spread chickpeas out into a single layer. Roasted in a preheated oven 200C (390F) for approximately 22 minutes or until desired amount of crunch is achieved.
Air fried chickpeas
- Place chickpeas into the air fryer pan, in a single layer if possible, and fry on high setting* (see notes) for approx. 12 minutes or until desired amount of crunch is achieved.
- Best served immediately.
N.B., nutrition info is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. This will vary based on the specific ingredients you use.
If you enjoyed this recipe, consider supporting my work for the cost of a cup of coffee.