If you’re like me and love to make cooking a little easier in any way possible, having a blend of spices ready on hand is one of those tasks that can help with just that. I love making falafel, so it makes perfect sense to have a jar of ready-made falafel spices and herbs in the pantry. Ready in minutes, stores for a year.
This website receives a commission/fee for each purchase bought through the affiliate links on this website.
What Are Falafel Spices and Herbs
Dried and ground spices and herbs are what give falafel its distinctive flavor.
These spices and herbs can differ between regions and countries.
Some recipes call for the use of fresh herbs whilst others, such as this authentic Lebanese falafel recipe, call for the use of dried herbs.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- You’ll be better organized and save time for when you next make a batch of falafel
- It takes minutes to prepare and can be stored for up to a year in the pantry or however long spices last in your pantry!
- This falafel spice mix is exactly the combination of herbs and spices my Lebanese family uses, so I guarantee the flavor of your falafel is exactly how you want them to be
Spices and Herbs You’ll Need
Notes on some of the ingredients, the full list of ingredients and their measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
Falafel Dried Herbs
- Ground parsley
- Ground mint
If you’re lucky enough to grow and dry your own herbs, this is the perfect application to use them in this blend. Otherwise, you can purchase any of these from your local supermarket.
If you prefer to use fresh herbs in your falafel, leave the dried herbs out.
- Lebanese Seven Spice, as the name suggests, is a blend of seven (7) spices that are commonly used in Lebanese cooking, I use it in so many of my recipes, my pantry wouldn’t be right without this blend. You can make your own blend of 7 spice or purchase this spice blend here (affiliate link), otherwise it can be found at your local Middle Eastern grocer.
- Ground Paprika
- Ground coriander seed
- Ground cumin
- Salt - you can opt to leave this out and add this when making the actual falafel instead.
- Ground black pepper
Use Whole Spices Where Possible
I like using whole spices when I can.
Why? For enhanced flavor, potency, and freshness.
Whole spices contain essential oils that give them their unique flavors and aromas.
Grinding them releases these oils, intensifying the flavor and fragrance of the spice. Freshly ground spices tend to have a more pronounced taste compared to pre-ground spices.
If you do use whole spices, you will need a spice grinder (affiliate link) to make it easier to grind them to a powdery consistency.
Alternatively, a mortar and pestle (affiliate link) can also be used to manually crush the whole spices by hand.
How To Make Falafel Spices and Herbs Mix
Gather and measure all your dried spices and herbs. Use a bowl to combine everything evenly.
Transfer the falafel spices and herbs mix to a clean airtight container or a spice jar.
Store in a cool, dry pantry away from direct sunlight. It should remain fresh for about one year or however long other spices remain fresh. Use as you need.
How to Use Falafel Spices and Herbs
Prepare the falafel as per instructed on the recipe without adding any spices or herbs, then add this falafel spice mix as per needed by doing a taste test. Add as much as you like. However, a general rule of thumb is for every 1½ cups of dried beans, use 2½ tablespoons of this spice mix to make falafel.
If you love the flavor of falafel, then here are some other creative suggestions;
- Falafel-flavored chickpea crackers or gf pita chips
- Sprinkle on top of beet crisps
- Add it to your popcorn
- Roast veggies with it, try tossing these roasted okra with it
- Toss roasted chickpeas through it, yum!
More On Falafel
I am a huge lover of falafel, a food I grew up on in my Lebanese family, so I have you covered with all things falafel.
Or to learn about authentic foods to serve with falafel, click that link, it’s filled with all the good stuff.
Want to save even more time? Learn how to freeze falafel 2 ways! Honestly, this is the best, you can cook them frozen.
Easy Authentic Falafel Spices and Herbs Mix
- 7½ teaspoon Dried parsley
- 7½ teaspoon Dried Mint
- Place all the measured dried herbs and spices in a bowl. Mix them together until evenly blended.7½ teaspoon Dried parsley, 7½ teaspoon Dried Mint, 5 teaspoon Ground coriander, 1¼ teaspoon Lebanese 7 spice, 2½ teaspoon Ground Paprika, 2½ teaspoon Ground Cumin, 3¾ teaspoon Salt, 2½ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- Transfer the falafel spices and herbs mix to an airtight container or a spice jar. Store in in a cool, dry pantry away from direct sunlight. It should remain fresh for about one year or however long other spices remain fresh. Use as you need, general rule of thumb for every 1½ cups of dried beans, use 2½ tablespoons of this spice mix to make falafel. See notes.
N.B., nutrition info is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. This will vary based on the specific ingredients you use.